You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tips to writing with Affinity Designer?

Whether I am using a pen and tablet  (which I think my writing turns out worse!) or a pen tool, my printing or writing doesn't turn out anything like my real writing on a sheet of paper with a pen or pencil.

It may not be happening to just myself,  but can I make it better?  

Any suggestions or links?

Thanks!

-paulw

• Staff

This can depend on the type pf tablet that you are using as they have different input levels for pressure sensitivity and pen tilt angles and these can affect the appearance of hand writing input also the speed of pen moment can also affect this, I also recommend checking with you tablets manual to see what settings can be adjusted to improve sensitivity and input speed.

Hi,

I have a Wacom Intuos Draw tablet. It is a little guy.  If I could make the pen cursor not go all over my 27-inch monitor and stick to the Affinity Designer window (or maybe just the tablet itself) that would be great.  Wait - what if I maximize AD?  I will have to try that.

No manual came with it.  I just looked at their website. I have never seen anything like this before?  I don't think I am going to click on a hundred buttons to find the right one!  https://www.wacom.com/en-us/ support/product-support/manuals

There are four extra tips in the case.  They look exactly the same to me.  I didn't realize that carbide anything wore out over use.  I thought the pad would wear out first. No instructions on how to change them.

The how-to videos on their website haven't helped me.  But I think I will start watching the drawing ones to see if I can pick up some helpful tips!  I also have ArtRage 6 that I would love to get good at using too!

Thank you.  I will try and set different pressure sensitivities and use different angles. 

-paulw

I found this excellent video.  Didn't mean to post the video picture here, just a link.  Oh well.

Any way, I set the software to just use my main monitor (I have two) which makes it a whole lot easier to use.  And I messed around with the touch sensitivity of the pen, making it a little firmer like he did. Now I am having a blast!  The only thing is that using the mouse with the pen tool in AD is a lot darker than using the tablet an pen.  I will see if I can fix that a bit.

All right!

Thanks everyone!

-paulw