You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to solve low resolution using Apply Image tool??

Hi there,

After trying several formats, sizes resolutions, I realize no matter how high quality my output is, when using 'Apply Image' tool to place the image on a mockup for a book spread, it gets quite poor, and I have tried everything without a clue how to prevent the quality loss. As a result, the text appears pixelated. Original tiff image is 5250x5250 pixels, over 16 MB, it should not appear like that, any ideas how to solve this?

Since it is to apply on a mockup layer, as I have learned, 'place image' does not work, it has to be inserted via 'apply image tool.

Ta

affinity low res issue.png

4 hours ago, SGHoepfner said:

as I have learned, 'place image' does not work, it

Where have you learned that?

Place Image should work, I think. It's just a question of what you do with the (Image) layer after you Place it. Perhaps that's where your trouble happens?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, thank you for our reply, I have learned precisely here:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKsS9HqsEk&list=LL&index=8&ab_channel=CreatewithAffinity), and before I understood that, place images would rather make a mess, as it is not like in Photoshop, so it was a great tip...

For the image to 'adapt' to the layer's effect on the mockup, that is so far the only solution, apart from the fact I cannot figure out, as mentioned before, why the image suffer such a loss in quality, so the embed image keeps its resolution and yet incorporates the mockup layout.

So basically, is there a way to control the result or to keep the properties of an image using Apply Image tool? Why and how resolution is reduced?

Thanks in advance,

I don’t know if it’s relevant but the layer selected in your first image shows as having DPI of 41×59 (top-left of image), which is both very low and a bit strange as I wouldn’t expect it to have different X/Y DPI values unless it has been stretched.
Can you give us a step-by-step example of exactly what you are doing to insert your images into your document?
You seem to be editing a PSD file which could be an issue but I don’t use them myself so I couldn’t say.
Also, can you give us a screen-grab of your Resize Document dialog (menu “Document → Resize Document”)?

Hi Garry, thank you so much, it seems you have spotted a good clue, I have not even realize the layer has a DPI value for itself... I wonder if I can change it, but just check and could not find.

Short history:

I have a .psd mockup, now saved as a .aphoto project.

Following the youtube tutorial above, I managed the first progress, to insert the image really 'inside' the layer, instead of 'over' it. Before I was using the logics of Photoshop, and place image was not working.

As per tutorial, I select the layer > Apply Image > the dialogue box with options appear I chose 'Load Source from File' and image is perfectly blended but not keeping its original quality.

I can send the whole file for you, if you kindly have the time to check, please note mockup has several layers, I am using the two ones under Layer 42 (layer 24 copy ...) As per screenshot, as it might be a bit tricky to locate.

affinity low res issue.png

INNER_SPREAD_mockup_final.afphoto