You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP : linked images :: changing folder name

Within an AP doc, I have 450 linked pics and I want to change the name of the folder where the pics are stored. The images are in a subfolder in the same folder as the doc. The links between the doc and the pics only work if the exact path is preserved. Is there a way to solve this simple problem without having to replace one by one the 450 pics with the new exact path of the pics ?

With the Publisher document closed, first make a copy of it for backup. Then change the name of the image folder and then reopen the document, you should get a prompt telling you resources are missing, and offering choices of Yes, No, or Resource Manager.

If you respond Yes (not Resource Manager) and locate the first image that it asks for, it should automatically find the others.

1.9 has an additional function that may offer an alternative for situations like this, File > Save as Package. But for now, I'd suggest the approach above.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, eljaco said:

Within an AP doc,

Please note that AP when used as above refers to Affinity Photo

For Affinity Publisher you can use APUB or APU which should prevent any future confusion

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

With the Publisher document closed, first make a copy of it for backup. Then change the name of the image folder and then reopen the document, you should get a prompt telling you resources are missing, and offering choices of Yes, No, or Resource Manager.

If you respond Yes (not Resource Manager) and locate the first image that it asks for, it should automatically find the others.

1.9 has an additional function that may offer an alternative for situations like this, File > Save as Package. But for now, I'd suggest the approach above.

Thx for your quick answer !

I spent many hours trying your proposal, but it didn't work : I had to reconnect some pictures manually, then the file became very slow, spinning wheel, then many crushes, problems with the master pages, etc. And I ended up with a corrupt file totally unstable. I went back to the old file and old path. I had a similar experience trying to put some files on the cloud. I had to stop, nothing worked.

Resources managing isn't really working well with APu. So be really careful with moving and renaming files !!!