You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Designer: pasted images, saved, images gone!

I an existing illustration, size appx 50mb, I pasted 7-10 images to use as reference. I saved this illustration before closing it. This morning, I began to work on the same illustration. Noticed the file size had shot up to 90 mb - made sense because of the pasted images.

But, those images are nowhere to be found! Pasting those reference images was the last thing I did last night, and it has worked previously in that other pasted images are still there. Note: pasted from the clip board, and not placed using the Place Image menu item.

So, two questions:

1. Is it a good practice to paste raster images from the clipboard into an open Designer document, and will they stay there after saving, and 
  2. Are the images actually gone? All layers checked, they appear actually gone, yet the file size is still nearly twice what it was prior to said graphics-pasting; if the images are truly not in the file, why does the size of the file remain large - as if those pasted images are still contained in it somewhere?

I’ve set all layers to visibility on, and checked the history..no trace of them!

Thank you!

• Staff
21 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Is it a good practice to paste raster images from the clipboard into an open Designer document, and will they stay there after saving

It should be absolutely fine to use either pasting or placing to import these images into your document and have them be retained - I must admit this isn't something I've heard happening before!

Are the images actually gone? All layers checked, they appear actually gone

I'd be more than happy to check the document for you, but I don't have any additional tools for this that you don't (other than the ability to open it on desktop, rather than iPad), but I do doubt that I'd see any difference from yourself.

When you pasted these images, were they pasted onto the Canvas, or the Pasteboard around the canvas? Is there a chance that Clip to Canvas has been enabled and this is why your images aren't showing?

if the images are truly not in the file, why does the size of the file remain large - as if those pasted images are still contained in it somewhere?

The Affinity file format does not update to remove unnecessary content from the file unless it has changed by at least 25%, I suspect the application does not yet understand that these images are 'missing' and not enough of the rest of the document has changed in order for us to remove the 'dead data', as outlined by one of our developers below - 

On 3/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, Ben said:

This will be because we apply similar streamlining rules as we do to the Affinity documents.  For speed reasons, we append changes to the file, then only periodically "defrag" the file when it reaches a certain % of dead data.

So, if you delete stuff, the file will still grow instead of shrink as we write out a new copy of the main file data, but don't do any housekeeping until it reaches 25% redundancy at which point all the dead bits are removed and the file will shrink.

I hope this clears things up, if you'd like an upload link for your document then please do let me know :)