You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color displayed incorrectly

Affinity Photo displays the images in the wrong color.
This happens with all images, regardless of whether they are JPG or NEF files.
The original file is a NEF file, out of camera. ("original.NEF")

What I have done:
Original file opened in Affinity Photo1723544566_AffinityPhoto.thumb.png.d24166b695bb5b7d9f5a69fc4491e348.png

("Affinity Photo.png")

Developed and exported without editing Affinity_Photo_export.thumb.jpg.6c5cc5b71c89aad216eb566f9deef121.jpg

("Affinity Photo export.jpg")

For comparison, I opened the original file in Nikon's "ViewNX-i"Nikon_ViewNX-i.thumb.png.66ff98cb07833f01bc1167813779e59d.png

("Nikon ViewNX-i.png")

and converted to JPG there
ViewNX-i_export.thumb.JPG.6f2733d1cba8aa4866e628b497732eec.JPG

("ViewNX-i export.JPG")

I am aware that Affinity Photo does not make any adjustments and that the image will therefore look a little different than in the other programs. But the problem also applies to JPG files. For this I opened the last mentioned image ("ViewNX-i export.JPG") in Affinity Photo 722930631_ViewNX-iexportinAffinityPhoto.thumb.png.34c0d514a2c74777bbefe68ee258b051.png

("ViewNX-i export in Affinity Photo.png")

Can anyone help me?
Thank you very much

Information about the computer:
Windows 10 Pro, updated October 15, 2020
64-bit operating system,
x64-based processor

Affinity Photo Information:
Last updated on November 7th, 2020
Ordered on February 26, 2020
Version: 1.8.5.703

Edited by Marius03

1 hour ago, Marius03 said:

Can anyone help me?

Hallo Marius, welcome to the forum.  Please allow me to emphasize that one can never compare a raw file with a jpeg,.  A RAW file is exactly that, which is why it is known as a Digital Negative.  The software has simply rendered the raw file in a sensible way. Raw can not be destroyed when edited, it is a mish mash of information ready to be manipulated, it is like comparing RAW meat with cooked meat, there is no comparison.  How have you displayed it in Affinity Photo?  Did you assign a colour profile when you took it into the photo editing stage?  Again, please forget about converting to jpeg in camera, just wrecks everything and is certinly not an efficient way to ascertain colour or tonal accuracy.  How colour is displayed in the raw image is simply how a camera decides it should be displayed according to in-camera software. The RAW development in A.photo is an overall, generalised edit similar to when one develops the out of camera nagatives of a complete film from a film camera.  The photo editing software can pinpoint and target specific areas of that image similar to when we take our developed negative and transfer it to photographic paper which then goes through two chemicals.  Each critical stage is about making creative decsions.  How your image is displayed in camera, in RAW and then in Photo editing software will always be slightly different, because in each stage there have been conversions in the software.  PRINTING is the only way to determine the accuracy of editing.  And then if there is still a problem we must look to our colour management and possibly screen adjustments.  Seldom if ever, is there a problem with the photo editing software unless green comes out yellow and black shadows come out as very light areas.

The real and only true comparison in order to guage the accuracy of an edit is to Print it.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

11 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Hallo Marius, welcome to the forum.  Please allow me to emphasize that one can never compare a raw file with a jpeg,.  A RAW file is exactly that, which is why it is known as a Digital Negative.  The software has simply rendered the raw file in a sensible way. Raw can not be destroyed when edited, it is a mish mash of information ready to be manipulated, it is like comparing RAW meat with cooked meat, there is no comparison.  How have you displayed it in Affinity Photo?  Did you assign a colour profile when you took it into the photo editing stage?  Again, please forget about converting to jpeg in camera, just wrecks everything and is certinly not an efficient way to ascertain colour or tonal accuracy.  How colour is displayed in the raw image is simply how a camera decides it should be displayed according to in-camera software. The RAW development in A.photo is an overall, generalised edit similar to when one develops the out of camera nagatives of a complete film from a film camera.  The photo editing software can pinpoint and target specific areas of that image similar to when we take our developed negative and transfer it to photographic paper which then goes through two chemicals.  Each critical stage is about making creative decsions.  How your image is displayed in camera, in RAW and then in Photo editing software will always be slightly different, because in each stage there have been conversions in the software.  PRINTING is the only way to determine the accuracy of editing.  And then if there is still a problem we must look to our colour management and possibly screen adjustments.  Seldom if ever, is there a problem with the photo editing software unless green comes out yellow and black shadows come out as very light areas.

The real and only true comparison in order to guage the accuracy of an edit is to Print it.  

Thank you for your answer
As I said, I know that RAW files are RAW files, but I have just edited a JPG file (... yes JPG, my drone cannot use RAW). After the export, this picture is also not as it was shown in A.Photo before.

A.Photo.png

Original.jpg

31 minutes ago, Marius03 said:

Thank you for your answer
As I said, I know that RAW files are RAW files, but I have just edited a JPG file (... yes JPG, my drone cannot use RAW). After the export, this picture is also not as it was shown in A.Photo before.

I had no idea it was shot from a drone, sorry. Please explain, the image on top is before or after editing?  The image below is as seen in the drone footage?  I am getting confused here.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

10 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I had no idea it was shot from a drone, sorry. Please explain, the image on top is before or after editing?  The image below is as seen in the drone footage?  I am getting confused here.

The first photo wasn't of the drone either, just the new one, sorry.
Regarding the pictures from my last answer: Both that in Affinity and the export are after editing.
The two in this answer are each without any editing.

Original file and original file opened in Affinity

DJI_0190.JPG

before_editing.png

31 minutes ago, Marius03 said:

Original file and original file opened in Affinity

Exported to where, I see a photo and an image in A.Photo.  How are you viewing your exported image? The ones from the edited versions.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, Chris26 said:

Exported to where, I see a photo and an image in A.Photo.  How are you viewing your exported image? The ones from the edited versions.

I don't quite understand everything you write. (I'm German) I look at the pictures in the Windows photo display.

1 hour ago, Marius03 said:

I don't quite understand everything you write. (I'm German) I look at the pictures in the Windows photo display.

Then that explains quite a lot.  I have here a screenshot of a test image from Fuji Film.   loaded it into Affinity Publisher and also into Windows photo viewer   They display colour and tone differently, barely visible with the naked eye, But I did see differences, although subtle.  So I loaded my colour picker and there are different readings from both images.  For One example The bright yellow in windows Photo viewer is more intense and that same yellow in Affinity is a little more flat, dull.  Are you a photographer or just capturing for casual use on different screens and displays?  If you are a photographer then Print it, that is the object of photography, not to try and get all these colours to display the same on different monitors, that will never happen, ever.  

Photo viewer Yellow is RGB 255 255 0

Affinity Yellow is : RGB 254 254 31

This is to be expected to be honest.  This is just the viewing condition, the screen display if you like. I never put any confidence in comparing a photo viewer image with a dedicated photo editing programme.  Edit according to taste and print, then compare the print to how it looks in Affinity.  This is the only true way to do things.  I assume you understand the principles of colour managing your images from start to finnish? 😉

Kind regards

Chris

Capture.JPG.472ff24143bf66c8de87d3d2cc0b96f5.JPG