You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge doesn`t combine data from 2 files properly

I have tried to combine data from 2 files. This time I used 2 excel files, previously I tried one xlsl file and one csv one, without result. I click second file fields but they arent added to the text frame. Now I can add fields from both files, but if I have Preview activated in both files, Publisher only shows and combine one of them. If I have preview disabled on both files, I can see both placeholders, but if I press Generate, only fields from first file are shown in combined file.

image.png.6d3f2c68113385852bc760bfa583189c.png

image.png.098501aa2562a850571f832af03d7626.png

EDIT: I'm sorry, AFP doesn't combine only data from first file. Every excel file have 3 records. AFP creates a 6 pages doc, the first 3 combining data from first file, and last 3 with data from second file but with the first line (the first file one) empty. Strange behaviour, isnt it?

Indeed, I tried again to combine excel and csv files together. With Preview OFF on both, I can add fields from both. Thats why I can't do it to work before. AFP adds the second file fields, but doesn't preview it.

That's the way it must work? If yes, it's a bit nonsense to me...

By the way, the Windows version shows me the Data Merge Manager window in this way (and I cant resize it):

image.png.199829f54793368d3e3f73e045778d50.png

I have seen OSX version and shows entire window, no needed scroll bar. I'm using Beta in my laptop, 1366 x 768. Enough free screen, I think...

image.png.cc4b31221b35aece4cbdc04acd8a1dde.png

Trying Beta, I see that others windows are cutted away, too. And this can't be scrolled...

image.png.714e18787cf761eac1d4f0f63438b769.png

I can't acces to the 2 buttons at bottom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Jose Alvarez,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

You may be confused by the fact you can only preview one data source at once and previewing one will hide the other. If you turn off all previews you will see the field placeholders. The preview works that way because that's what will happen for the output. You can only merge a page with one source at once. Merging 2 different sources is not an option. 

Re: Table format dialog

What macOS version? What screen resolution?

Hi Gabe!

No prob, you don't need to apologize.

1: Yes, I was confused with that behaviour. Your explanation puts it black over white ;) 

2: I don't know macOS version or screen resolution, I saw a screenshot in another post. I only can say you my environment,  Windows 10 and 1366 x 768 (laptop).

Thank you for your response!

Greetings from Spain,

Jose

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.