You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The rotation point has left the planet

I've been encountering this issue quite a lot... Hopefully someone can help me fix it, or just tell me WHY it's happening.

Let's say I'm working on a sketch and I want to rotate the ear just a bit. I select the ear with the lasso tool and want to move the rotation point to the root of the ear, but for some reason the rotation point's default position is sitting far away, often way off the canvas itself. Why...? Is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to center it so I can reach it? (I know I can center it by double-clicking on it, but that requires me to zoom way out and FIND the darn thing first. Would be wonderful to quickly center it with a button! (Or of course just force the default position to be in the center of the selection from the beginning.))

This doesn't seem to happen when I want to rotate a whole layer. Only happens whenever I just want to transform a small selection on a layer.

Thanks a lot in advance!

come back baby.png

I tried to replicate this issue but I think I might be missing one or more steps.
If you can give us a blow-by-blow account of the exact steps you are using then we can probably help you better. (A video might be nice if you can supply one, but a full-screen screenshot might also help.)
Also, can you say which OS you are using (and I’m assuming you are using Photo).

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

I tried to replicate this issue but I think I might be missing one or more steps.
If you can give us a blow-by-blow account of the exact steps you are using then we can probably help you better. (A video might be nice if you can supply one, but a full-screen screenshot might also help.)
Also, can you say which OS you are using (and I’m assuming you are using Photo).

Yes, I'm in Photo. Sorry, forgot to specify. (Edit: Oh, and I'm in Windows 10)

Here is a video where I've made a copy of the file with no layers (other than background), just for the sake of simplicity and seeing if saving a new version would fix it. Opened it up, made a new layer and tried rotating a selection. As soon as I turn Enable Transform Origin on it's automatically randomly outside the selection.
I've done some more fiddling around. I have tried replicating this issue in brand new documents and on PNG files and multiple other PSD/Afphoto files, and so far I have NOT been able to replicate it myself either. So I'm thinking there must just be something buggy about the file itself. But saving a new version of it did not seem to help, so... Anything else I can try to repair the file if that is indeed the issue?

The .avi couldn't be converted here on Mac OS. The file would be of more help.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, haakoo said:

You can also select any of the object nodes to have the "center" node snap to it.
These are mostly seen when the point transform tool is selected.
You may however need to zoom in to see the point you want when using small objects,use ctrl+alt+0 to zoom to selection when selected in layerspanel.

Sounds handy! Can I ask for a demonstration? Ctrl + Alt + 0 doesn't seem to zoom to the selection for me, I might be missing something :)