You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create chapter headings with numbers for scientific documents (in the text and in the table of contents)

As a complete newcomer to Affinity Publisher, I cannot find instructions anywhere on how to create a table of contents for my term paper. In my script I have headings with chapter numbers or sub-chapters (1. / 1.1 /1.1.1 - followed by a tab and text). After four hours of desperate searching, I downloaded an Ebook and a video training on Affinity Publisher  ... but I'm too stupid.
I mean, it has something to do with sections, but I can't find instructions. It is always explained how to define and place defined sections as fields in the document. But can I also use this with the appropriate numbering to automatically create a table of contents? Could someone please help me?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sönke

17 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Please check e.g. this post:

Your tip is great because it goes exactly in the direction I need for university! I will try your instructions and I am curious. You did mention "unconnected text frames" ... but I don't have them. The whole document consists of a text frame over several pages. However, the automatic update of the table of contents does not work for me. As soon as formatted text comes after numbering, Publisher changes the numbering in the next subsection.
I hope that your instructions help me, as I have deadlines at university. Thanks alot!

6 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I am not sure if I understood what you mean but I added an update publication with TOC that has automatica numbering turned off in the TOC styles. Publisher seems to automatically apply automatic numbering to TOC styles if it is used in the actual heading styles, but it backfires in TOC, where literal text should be picked instead of using any kind of renumbering scheme.

As for text frames being continuing (forming just one single story) or being independent, does not matter provided that heading styles have been specified as using a specific numbering type and global numbering scheme ticked at the highest level, and sub levels specified using the numbering type "No change". 

Perfect, it works! I was able to format the text and the table of contents as required by the university, and the work is saved. Thanks to your template and the explanations for the settings in the textstyles, I understood how to do it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• 3 years later...

Welcome to the forums @Raoul_Duke

Someone (maybe lacerto themselves), for some reason, has edited the posts to remove the text so there’s nothing to see.

A moderator might be able to get the text back, but if lacerto removed the text themselves then the moderators might not be able to restore it because of data protection (or other) reasons.

Looking in the quoted text may give you enough of an answer to figure out what was said in the removed text.

If you give us details of your particular issue then someone should be able to help.

3 hours ago, Raoul_Duke said:

Hi, I cannot see the answers by lacerto, but would really like to see them, because I'm struggeling with the same issues and they seem to be helpful. Could someone please help? Best regards!

Hi Raoul, I wrote detailed instructions for how to create numbered headings and tables of contents that include them in the free PDF manual I've shared in this forum. The link is in my signature below. Note that the manual is for version 2.3 but it won't be too different if you're using 1.10.

If the instructions don't address your issues then please let us know and Garry, myself, or somebody else will be able to help you.

Cheers,

Mike

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)