You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Standard Fill Function Needed - HELP SOUGHT!

Thoroughly frustrated and at a loss.  Seeking help.

Using Affinity Designer, I need to create over a hundred (approaching 200) diagram images for integrating into an Affinity Publisher document.  The task is to trace an outline from an image, creating a vector object.  Next, I need to fill that object with a standard-sized set of parallel blue lines, producing something that looks like this:

image.png.3d2208da10697ac805ce619398f7e21b.png

In Serif DrawPlus 8 I could Arrange/Join/Intersect the object outline against a standard blue lined pattern to give a set of lines that fit within the original object outline. (see below..)

image.png.d5c68a0d99bd5dfb8054a4b3f39ff2e1.png

Since you cannot do that in Designer, I tried creating one object with a standard bit mapped fill, then clipping the pattern to the outline object using the intersect function….

image.png.0c5661ba38b25de8add27b9d726a57a1.png

But, the resulting bitmapped fill is altered!!! It is nowhere near the original bitmapped spacing.

image.png.833696b4d64053e9069f2b92b7ed0130.png

It is impossible to manually insert bitmap fill and adjust each figure’s spacing – it takes too long. Designer also does not have bitmap swatches.

Any suggestions on how to do this without an impossible investment of time in Affinity Designer?

Many thanks to those more adept and patient that I,

Dennis

image.png

What are you exporting to… JPEG, PNG?

In the example below, I created the lines using the pen tool, grouped them and made that group an asset so that I could use that asset repeatedly. I you know the maximum size these shapes will be you can create the lines to fill that maximum space. You can then nest the line asset in the shape, maintaining edibility. see image and file below. I exported the PNG with a background to show a difference but it can be exported without background if required.
image.png.f7ed10fce7c3c178f1fe8fdad4de8081.png

Lines example file.afdesign

Lines.afassets

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You’re welcome Dennis.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Would be so easy with some vector pattern support, like "SVG pattern or SVG2 hatch" usually do offer, instead of boring grouping lines.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset=utf-8 />
    <title>SVG white/blue patterns via mask</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <svg viewBox="0 0 300 300" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
      <defs>
        <pattern id="stripes" viewBox="0,0,8,8" width="16" height="16" patternUnits="userSpaceOnUse">
          <polygon points="0,0 4,0 0,4" fill="white"></polygon>
          <polygon points="0,8 8,0 8,4 4,8" fill="white"></polygon>
          <polygon points="0,4 0,8 8,0 4,0" fill="blue"></polygon>
          <polygon points="4,8 8,8 8,4" fill="blue"></polygon>
        </pattern>
      </defs>
	  <rect fill="url(#stripes)" x="150" y="20" width="100" height="50" />
      <circle cx="50"  cy="50" r="50" fill="url(#stripes)"/>
    </svg>
  </body>
</html> 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2