You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and the MacPro

I am running Affinity Photo on the Macbook Pro retina 2013 I7 / 1TB SSD / 16GB and still find it lagging when applying filters.... a bit annoying compared to most filters in PSCC. Other than that greatly superior workflow for photography, no questions.

Anyone has tried running  AP on a MACPRO???   still experience these lags ??? I am going to upgrade but wonder what would be the optimal MACPRO configuration??? I WORK ON A DELL 32 4K DISPLAY AND THE IDEA WITH THE MACPRO IS TO RUN AP, PSCC AND LR OPEN AT ALL TIMES.

Finally what worflow do you recommend running LR as a catalog and browser???

Thank you all!!!

Hi Leigh thank you for your reply ...no I am using nikon d810 raw files nothing unusual...What do you call the latest MAS version 1.3.5?  I use OPEN HARDWARE GL in AP performance settings which from what I gather is the recommended preset right???

I GUESS IT MAY BE RELATED TO USING AN LG 32 4K WTH MY MBP 2013 I7 16GB 1TB SSD. AGAIN WITH THE SAME CONFIGURATION THERE ARE ALMOST NO LAG OR NO LAG AT ALL USING MOST FILTERS IN PSCC AND LIGHTROOM OR CAMERA RAW. THE LAG IN AFFINITY PHOTO IS A FEW SECONDS BETWEEN USING THE SLIDER AND FULL RENDERING ON THE 4K SCREEN.... ANYONE USING A 4 K SCREEN AND IN WHAT CONFIGURATION??? ANYONE USING A MACPRO AND A 4K DISPLAY???

Hi Leigh. Still have a lag issue on the MBP only but more localized like the black point is pretty bad or a duo tone not pretty. What I just found that helps a lot, although not yet live action filters as advertised by serif .... is switching view quality to nearest neighbor in performance prefs. Naked eye visible speed difference and so far invisible quality downside . With OpenGL only of course. If my MBP, one the fastest laptop on the market cannot resolve properly.... Hmmmm maybe I should check a font issue what do you reckon? Thanks

• 3 months later...

i have exactly the same issue ... i compare identical files in Affinity and PS6

i have this slow performance (you see the picture being rendered in blocks) in affinity

and near instant in PS6

files are normal size, layers are not many and there is no reason for this ... very frustrating

5200 by 3600 pixel --- 16bit - adobe rgb - 8 simple adjustment layers

size of the image 130MB 

when change to 8bit - slight improvement

i reported tis before - no improvement so far ... 

AP and OS is latest release