You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart Objects in Affinity Photo

Please explain what you think is missing and important to you :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

actually I'm just asking the same thing like this 😅

Do you have trick? alternative? to make a mockup with smart object

🙇‍♂️

Edited by haneefy

On 9/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

Straight from Adobe, they explain it much better than I could...

Understand Smart Objects

Smart Objects are layers that contain image data from raster or vector images, such as Photoshop or Illustrator files. Smart Objects preserve an image's source content with all its original characteristics, enabling you to perform nondestructive editing to the layer.

In Photoshop, you can embed the contents of an image into a Photoshop document. In Photoshop, you can also create Linked Smart Objects whose contents are referenced from external image files. The contents of a Linked Smart Object are updated when its source image file changes.

Linked Smart Objects are distinct from duplicated instances of a Smart Object within a Photoshop document. With Linked Smart Objects, you can use a shared source file across multiple Photoshop documents which is a familiar and welcome concept for web designers.

Smart Object benefits

With Smart Objects, you can:

Perform nondestructive transforms. You can scale, rotate, skew, distort, perspective transform, or warp a layer without losing original image data or quality because the transforms don't affect the original data.

Work with vector data, such as vector artwork from Illustrator, that otherwise would be rasterized in Photoshop.

Perform nondestructive filtering. You can edit filters applied to Smart Objects at any time.

Edit one Smart Object and automatically update all its linked instances.

Apply a layer mask that's either linked or unlinked to the Smart Object layer.

Try various designs with low-resolution placeholder images that you later replace with final versions.

You can't perform operations that alter pixel data—such as painting, dodging, burning, or cloning—directly to a Smart Object layer, unless it is first converted into a regular layer, which will be rasterized. To perform operations that alter pixel data, you can edit the contents of a Smart Object, clone a new layer above the Smart Object layer, edit duplicates of the Smart Object, or create a new layer.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

41 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

Straight from Adobe, they explain it much better than I could...

Can't you already do all those when you embed a .afphoto, .afdesign, or .afpub file in another Affinity document?

That's part of what confused me about the request. 

It could mean:

1. Provide even more support for embedded Affinity files (which are Affinity's "smart objects"), or

2. Provide something more for dealing with embedded PSD files.

In either case, what exactly do you want or need?

Just saying "complete it" is, in my opinion, too vague.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Not all graphics assets are Affinity file types...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can't you already do all those when you embed a .afphoto, .afdesign, or .afpub file in another Affinity document?

That's part of what confused me about the request. 

It could mean:

1. Provide even more support for embedded Affinity files (which are Affinity's "smart objects"), or

2. Provide something more for dealing with embedded PSD files.

In either case, what exactly do you want or need?

Just saying "complete it" is, in my opinion, too vague.

I'm Sorry if  "too vague"😓

I don't know how to express with matching word in english😭

I I'm not good at English actually🤭

Thank you for your opinion😄

Edited by haneefy

You're welcome, and if you have problems with English, I'm sure your English is better than my attempts in your preferred language would be.

Feel free to post in your language if you do want to provide more details about what you want to see.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, Johannes said:

like this?

Well, that seems more like a question than a feature request :)

And one which seems to have a simple answer, in the context of smart objects (and assuming I understand the question):

1. Embed a .afphoto file into the .afpub file.
  2. Switch to the Photo Persona, select the .afphoto layer, and apply the perspective live filter.
  3. Later, if you want some different image, select the .afphoto layer in the Publisher Persona, and click Edit Document. You're then in a new editing tab for the (unaltered) .afphoto file. Replace the image. Close the tab, and you're back working on the .afpub document, with the new image distorted by the perspective filter. You can adjust the filter if you need to; just double-click it in the Layers panel.

Here are two versions. Perspective1.afpub is after step 2. Perspective2.afpub is after step 3, with a replacement image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tix8p47hvsboum/perspective.zip?dl=0

-- Walt
PC: