RobertM

Problem with export grey scale text to PDF for print in CMYK document in Affinity Publisher

I'm preparing a photo album in Affinity Publisher.The book includes cmyk photos with grey scale subtitles below on each page. The document has a cmyk colour profile. I' m exporting to pdf "for print" option, seting the colour "as document" and seting the text "convert to courves". But finally both pictures and the text remain in cmyk and printing house cannot accept this. Please help!

Hi and welcome to the forums,

First you should change your User Name to something other than your email address so as to avoid spam.

Make a Document Palette in the Swatches panel and then make a 100% Black colour swatch for your text and a variation of black only for the grey captions (if you want grey, not black) should look like cmyk 0, 0, 0, 100. and cmyk 0, 0, 0, 88. (for darkish grey)

Otherwise you'll have text as 'Rich Black' which is a mixture of CMYK colours suitable for home colour inkjet printers.

Other people will probably chime in with more and better information.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.9.0.196 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.9.0.742

Hi, Thank you for your answer. I had grey scale but have a problem with export to pdf. In publisher text is gray but after export to pdf, text is cmyk gray. Regards

Please ensure two things: first that what you mean by "grayscale" definition for the subtitles has been done by using CMYK values (CMY parts zero and K part 100) and not the Affinity grayscale ramp or swatches, which are RGB based and produce four-color grays, and secondly, that when you export, you do not embed the document color profile (or if you do, that you use the same color profile in the viewer app). Otherwise the exported gray text parts will appear to have become four-color grays while in fact they are still using K definitions (however, they might become four-color grays in final rendering depending on how the document is processed and if unnecessary color conversions are done at this stage).

There might be point in exporting using one of the PDF/X methods, e.g. PDF/X1a:2003, which ensures that all data is in CMYK format (and mere K definitions are retained), and rendering intents are included and colors shown correctly in viewer apps like Adobe Acrobat Pro. 

This thread seems relevant to what I asked here (I hope this isn't cross-posting, but I didn't see this question when I posted my question):

ETC: I have another issue with colors. I sent a preliminary PDF to the printshop for advice. They responded saying that the black color used for text need to be changed to "K", not left as "CMYK". I would have thought the text was in RGB, since I think that's what AfPub defaulted to. And, when I printed a page of the calendar to a color laser printer, I see that the black text in the monthly quotation did not come through as real black. It seems there is overprint – perhaps the background on which it is superimposed is changing the black to non-black. Any thoughts?