Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spanish hyphenation not working (also, a crash)

Recommended Posts

Hi. Since upgrading to 1.8.4 Spanish hyphenation has not been working. Despite having hyphenation panel adjusted even to force it (up to 7 consecutive hyphens, zones to 0, prefix and sufix at minimal, etc…) not a single hyphen is generated anywhere.

On language section on character pane, whenever I choose Spanish as Hyphen language, hyphen stops working. As soon as I choose any other language, it works. Just now i'm having to use Latin hyphen because is the most similar to Spanish rules. Crap, I get correct hyphen even with the English US hyphen dictionary. It is clear that there is something strange with the Spanish Hyphen dictionary.

Also, app crashes if I mouse goes over AUTO on the hypen language drop selector. Ouch!

Spanish: Not working


English and Italian, works perfect.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2020 at 9:12 AM, Gabe said:

Same here. Any chance you can try the same workflow on a new user profile?

Hi again @Gabe

Just tested in a completely new user. It seem to work fine, so is a user related issue. Suggestions? reset publisher settings maybe? (how was it done?) Complete reinstall of publisher? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Very odd. Permission maybe? Try this and see if it fixes it. 


If you purchased from the Mac App Store could you try these steps please:

Go to Macintosh HD\Users\username\Library\Containers\
rename the 'com.seriflabs.affinityPublisher' folder to 'com.seriflabs.affinityPublisher.old'

Instead if you purchased from the Affinity Store could you try these steps please:

Go to Macintosh HD\Users\username\Library\Application Support\
rename the 'Affinity Publisher' folder to 'Affinity Publisher Old'


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still fail, but you gave me a clue and I've found the culprit. 

It seems a badly formatted dictionary for basque language was in conflict with the Spanish one. I examined the basque dictionary files and one of them was named es_ES instead of eu_ES. Your route to the library gave me the clue that long ago I installed a basque dictionary.

Also, this also solved the issue of publisher crashing when selecting automatic as hyphen language.

I hope this could help others in the improbable case anyone has this issue.

Thank you very much! Going to advice dictionary author so it can check it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.