You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: problems with combining cursive font letters for lasercutting,

Up until recently I used Illustrator to create my SVGs for lasercutter printing (I use a Glowforge, app.glowforge.com), and was easily able to combine each individual letter in a cursive phrase using the merge shape tool. Attempting to use this tool in Affinity Designer on my Mac isn't working the same, and is causing major issues with my fonts, cutting parts of them off etc. All my text is as curves. I've tried the following:

• Using the "Add" or "Combine" tool - this causes parts of the letters to be chopped off, eyes to be removed, or whole letters to disappear
  • Rasterizing then adding or combining, same issues as above, no difference except my letters are all now super pixelated
  • Expanding the stroke, then combining or adding - same issues with cursive fonts, but was successful with combining two shapes - except now the combined shape is filled in in Affinity Designer, but EMPTY and just outlines in the exported SVG? Messing w/ stroke/fill on this combined shape doesn't help so now I have this additional issue.

Screenshots attached, plus the afdesigns. Something to do with font ligatures? Any tricks for fixing? I need to do this for three files to complete an order to be shipped on Aug 7th (Friday), so hoping to get on this ASAP. Sadly no answer from Affinity Help since July 30th :( Would be extremely grateful for any help!

After clicking add or combine.png

After clicking combine, stroke only.png

How_it_prints_via_lasercutter.JPG

STYXX in Glowforge.png

Tails visible stroke only.png

Another issue after expanding.png

STYXX on affinity.png

Tails visible with fill + layers palette.png

styxx.afdesign zenith.afdesign

I'm just a beginner, but have been trying to do this myself. My possible solution is to 'ungroup' the letters which need to be joined, which creates each letter as a separate object, then select all the letters to be joined and use the 'add' geometry function, wwhich then creates a simngle object without the intersections