You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity revolution people. I'm in love with all three producst on Windows, but there has been a huge problem for me for the last couple of versions. Totally suddenly, my Windows 10 (Version 1903 x64 KB4497165) stops reacting to all keystrokes, the mouse moves for approx 10 seconds, then freezes as well. This happens in Publisher only, no other application has ever behaved like this. I just have to perform a hard system reboot by pressing power button for 5 seconds, nothing else helps. 

I remember having the 1.7.2 for a long time and then jumping to 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 and the latest one I've spent a lot of time with is 1.8.3.641. All of them did this to me at some point. Regardless of the file I was working on, sometimes after a few seconds after starting up, sometimes after 2 hours of work. Thank God for the autosave. Previously I was accusing my Duet app, which is listed in the Windows troublemakers, but even without it installed the problem persists.

My Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga P40 has both a dedicated GPU and an Intel integrated GPU, maybe the problems might stem from here. I'm not sure.

Here's my System Information:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    THINKPAD-P40-YO
System Manufacturer    LENOVO
System Model    20GQ001SMX
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    LENOVO_MT_20GQ_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad P40 Yoga
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2592 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    LENOVO R05ET81W (1.59), 2019-05-14
SMBIOS Version    2.8
Embedded Controller Version    1.25
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    LENOVO
BaseBoard Product    20GQ001SMX
BaseBoard Version    SDK0J40697 WIN
Platform Role    Mobile
Secure Boot State    On
PCR7 Configuration    Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale    Czechia
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.18362.752"
User Name    THINKPAD-P40-YO\Simon
Time Zone    Central Europe Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    8.13 GB
Total Virtual Memory    21.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory    11.9 GB
Page File Space    5.75 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection    Off
Virtualization-based security    Not enabled
Device Encryption Support    Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

And the Display folder from the System Info:

Name    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_505A17AA&REV_07\3&11583659&0&10
Adapter Type    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_273cd687c73e4b9b\igdumdim64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_273cd687c73e4b9b\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_273cd687c73e4b9b\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_273cd687c73e4b9b\igd12umd64.dll
Driver Version    26.20.100.6998
INF File    oem51.inf (iSKLD_w10_DS section)
Color Planes    Not Available
Color Table Entries    4294967296
Resolution    1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel    32
Memory Address    0xD0000000-0xD0FFFFFF
Memory Address    0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF
I/O Port    0x0000FF80-0x0000FFBF
IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967287
Driver    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\IGDLH64.INF_AMD64_273CD687C73E4B9B\IGDKMD64.SYS (26.20.100.6998, 19.12 MB (20,047,464 bytes), 2019-07-17 01:59)

Name    NVIDIA Quadro M500M
PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_137A&SUBSYS_505A17AA&REV_A2\4&91A2562&0&00E8
Adapter Type    Quadro M500M, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description    NVIDIA Quadro M500M
Adapter RAM    (2,147,483,648) bytes
Installed Drivers    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvltwi.inf_amd64_9090484f46d8b338\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvltwi.inf_amd64_9090484f46d8b338\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvltwi.inf_amd64_9090484f46d8b338\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvltwi.inf_amd64_9090484f46d8b338\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version    26.21.14.4250
INF File    oem24.inf (Section046 section)
Color Planes    Not Available
Color Table Entries    Not Available
Resolution    Not Available
Bits/Pixel    Not Available
Memory Address    0xD1000000-0xD1FFFFFF
Memory Address    0xA0000000-0xAFFFFFFF
Memory Address    0xB0000000-0xB1FFFFFF
IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967289
Driver    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NVLTWI.INF_AMD64_9090484F46D8B338\NVLDDMKM.SYS (26.21.14.4250, 22.21 MB (23,286,504 bytes), 2020-03-07 11:18)

Can you please help me with this? I've been experiencing this for a very long time now and finally I have the time to tackle this issue. Previously, I just had to finish stuff and just had to "brute force" through it... :(

Šimon

24 minutes ago, Prokosim said:

Hi Affinity revolution people.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Sorry, I don't have a solution for your problem. But I wanted to mention that Affinity Revolution is a different company. In this forum you're primarily talking to Affinity users and the Serif team that builds the Affinity applications. :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Prokosim,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

Can you please confirm for me;

Does the app enter a 'Not Responding' state, or does it crash & close entirely?

Does this happen with only one document, or have you experienced this in multiple documents?

Have any crash reports been generated? You can find these here - %APPDATA%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

this has to be an issue of this exact laptop, because my desktop doesn't have any trouble running Affinity software. To answer your questions:

The app never ener the "Not Responding" state, it just freezes like it was a frame ago and then I'm totally cut away from the entire system meaning no keyboard strokes are registered (no Alt+tab, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, nothing) and the mouse pointer moves yet clicks are not registered as well and after usually 10 seconds or something like that even the mouse pointer stops reacting. The only way to solve this is a hard reboot.

I have experienced this on multiple documents and once even without an opened file. 

I have found a couple of .dmp files, hope this helps.

I'm now leaving for vacation for a week so there's no hurry and I won't be available for further discussing this, sorry for that. But let's get back to this after 16.8., please, this problem is very inconvenient... :D
Thank you in advance for any clues what might be wrong...

Š

Publisher-CrashReports.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your files and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response Prokosim - I've forwarded your crash reports to our developers and I'm currently awaiting a response, once I've heard from them I'll be sure to reply here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

@Prokosim I've had a response and unfortunately it doesn't appear as though there's one 'over-arching' issue that's causing this on your machine - as many of your crash reports look different and crash in different sections of the app/code.

Can you please confirm for me, is your C drive almost full? It may be that Affinity is capping out your RAM and then trying to write temporary data to a full drive and this causes the OS to freeze.

Please note -

Many thanks!

H again,  @Dan C

my C drive has a lot of free space (1.26 TB), the machine has 16 GB of RAM (about 6,5GB free at that moment) and all the other programs are running quite ok.

Here's what happened just now. Again, the same problem, first the keyboard stops reacting and after a short time even the mouse doesn't even move. No key-strokes worked, Ctrl+Shif+Esc, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, nothing and even clicking anywhere didn't get any response from the system... No new crush report were created, beause this type of crush doesn't produce them, I would have like a hundred of them now... 

Here's a little notm uch saying video of how it looks when it happens. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5aepRMQtXdYcijFq5  It is visible in there, that the file had just a few lines of text and nothing fancy in it.

image.png.3097c9a8fbf92b35b47c63d4b9560634.png

• Staff

Many thanks for your screen recording and further information provided, once again I've forwarded these to the developers to see if they can provide any more insight here.

I notice your laptop is a 360 convertible, with a touch screen - the latest Affinity Windows update changed the way we interpret touch input and I wonder if this may be affecting your system.

Can you please try launching Affinity using the below described 'flag' and let me know if this helps?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Ok, that sounds promissing. I will always launch Publisher with this flag now and let you know if the problem persists. This might take a while since I'm now working with different tools, but every now and then there's need to compile a pdf together or something graphical... :D Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again, well, this didn't help. Publisher does the same problem. There was a slight deviance from previous cases lately. Before my mouse pointer becomes totally stuck, I always try to get away using Alt+Tab or Win+D, but these are not recognised. This time, after hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the mouse started to move again, but nothing else changed, I was still stuck in Publisher with no clicks nor keytrokes recognized. I know this doesn't help much, but this is all I've noticed when using the 'flag'.