You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I try to brush over some shiny skin with a soft brush and 20% opacity on a new pixel layer. However, a white ring appear around my brush work:

image.thumb.png.c0b49c757101051c885ee1a10488776b.png

This seems to happen only when I start by developing a NEF-file. When I copy the below pixel layer in a new document, it does not happen.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

• Staff

Hi @Antonhartenberg,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! I'd like to request a copy of this document so I can look into this further, can you please attach your .afphoto file to your reply here?

On 7/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, Antonhartenberg said:

This seems to happen only when I start by developing a NEF-file.

Can you please confirm, which model camera does this NEF originate from? 

Many thanks in advance!

On 7/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, Antonhartenberg said:

I try to brush over some shiny skin with a soft brush and 20% opacity on a new pixel layer. However, a white ring appear around my brush work:

This seems to happen only when I start by developing a NEF-file. When I copy the below pixel layer in a new document, it does not happen.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

It's because when developing the raw image in the Develop persona, it's currently being developed to 32-bit linear output (RGBA/32).  It looks OK when you copy and paste the layer from the Photo persona into another document because it's converted to the format of the receiving document – RGBA/8 or RGBA/16 for example.

Are you intending to work on the image in RGBA/32 format?  If not, in the Develop persona you could go to [View > Assistant Manager] and change the 'Raw output format' from 'RGB (32 bit HDR)' to 'RGB (16 bit)'.  Alternatively, when in the Photo persona, you could go to [Document > Convert Format/ICC Profile] and change the format to say RGBA/16 or RGBA/8.

However, if you're intending to work on the image in RGBA/32 format, then I'm not sure why it's doing this; I'm guessing it's a bug  It doesn't necessarily need to be just from developing a raw image file: if you open a new blank document in Affinity Photo – with the colour format set to 'RGB/32 (HDR)' – the Paint Brush Tool will do the same.

RGBA/32:

001.thumb.png.778ea63c4625e3a86d8b4ac2b2c77e87.png

RGBA/16:

002.thumb.png.82cfc68202f2873085cbff405348c216.png