You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need beginners advice for workflow to edit musical scores

Hello, I am new to Affinity Photo, though its residing for quite a while on my application together with Affinity Designer.

I used to do this in GraphicKonverter, where the workflow is intuitive, but for the sizes of images I need to create its unusable slow.

This is my task. I need to create a single image of a score, each line of that has to be combined into a single line glued one after another. The original images are png or pdf documents, and contain some handwritten marks. I use the result in a Max patch to create a rolling score for the musicians.

Typically the resulting image is 1080 pixels high, but maybe 200.000 or more pixels wide...

In GraphicKonverter, I just select an area and paste it, but then I need to adjust the areas, delete small areas (replaced by the white background) and so on...

I am pretty stuck with the most simple actions, and it seems 100% of all Youtube instructions deal with photos and none with graphics. I don't know where to start for these simple tasks, as I always expect that it is as intuitive as in GraphicKonverter, which cannot handle big images, sometimes it needs minutes to just move a 20*50 pixel part to another place in the image...

So basically I want to select a part of the image and move it to a different part without creating a copy, it should vanish from the place it was and appera on a different place.

When selecting a part, and I command x, I expect it to disappear, but it doesn't (not at all intuitive for me).

Maybe someone can give me pointers to tutorials of this sort of workflow with a focus on graphics and not on photos. I just want to move pixels around nothing more...

Any pointers or hints are welcome...

Cheers,

Stefan

• Staff

Hi @Tj Shredder,

Welcome to the forums! 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, Tj Shredder said:

When selecting a part, and I command x, I expect it to disappear, but it doesn't (not at all intuitive for me).

It sounds as though your graphic has been placed into the Affinity app as an (Image) layer and in order to cut a part from this image, it needs to be Rasterised into the document. Please right-click the layer and select Rasterise, then try selecting and cutting the part of the image once more.

I hope this helps :)

Yes, cutting works now, thanks. Basically I want to paste it to a different place now. But that doesn't work as I would expect it. point to the area I want to paste it hit cmd-v and nothing happens. Best would be if I could select a part and move it around. That is really all I need from AF....

ok it did paste into something invisible. I guess I have to deal with all these layers though I don't need them...

What is also confusing, is if I select an area, sometimes I can copy them, sometimes copy is greyed out. I have no idea what's the difference...

Sorry for those noob questions, I am sure I get along if I get past these first hurdles...

Edited by Tj Shredder

5 hours ago, Tj Shredder said:

it did paste into something invisible. I guess I have to deal with all these layers though I don't need them...

What is also confusing, is if I select an area, sometimes I can copy them, sometimes copy is greyed out. I have no idea what's the difference...

Sorry for those noob questions, I am sure I get along if I get past these first hurdles...

Pointing has no effect.

If I have a selection made from the bottom right and copy it that will get pasted into the bottom right of the document I want it in, then sometimes the the second document is much smaller than the one I copied from and the pasting happens outside the canvas. I will frequently have to zoom way out to find the thing I pasted, you are not alone.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Finally I found out a very good workflow and created my first very long picture. But at the end AP got really slow. I suspect its related to my memory resources. The resulting .afphoto file has a size of more than 500 MB my canvas has a size of 450.000 * 1000 pixel. Saving the project needed more than half an hour, and the fan of my Macbook Air running on highest speed... On a Mac Pro with 64 GB of memory all went much smoother of course...

Thanks for all the help. Switching tools is always an adventure...