You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hello, I hope to find a answer or workaround for an important matter when exporting from Affinity Photo as a PSD file.
just sent a PSD file that I exported from Photo to a client and he reported back, that all the Text-Layers are rasterized and not editable.
i tried the "PSD (preserve editability)" and "PSD (preserve accuracy)" but both versions export the document with rasterized text-layers.
anything I missed or a workaround or is it not possible with Photo to export text-layers to a PSD file?
BIG thanks in advance for your help!

4 minutes ago, C.biz said:

is it not possible with Photo to export text-layers to a PSD file?

It is not possible to export editable text from Affinity using the PSD format.

In case you're not aware, PSD is not a standardized format, nor is it intended for use between non-Adobe products. It is a proprietary Adobe format which is only partly documented and is subject to frequent change by Adobe. Serif has not yet figured out (reverse engineered) this undocumented part of the format, though they have said they would like to do that someday.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am not sure why so many people are trying to cross collaborate and work between Affinity and Adobe. This is incredibly scary as there are so many issues and neither opens the others perfectly. Same goes for Indesign to Publisher, and Illustrator to Designer. Even IF text were editable in Photoshop after you exported from Photos, there is a whole host of other possible issues and changes that could happen. You really are setting yourself for serious headaches. I would recommend you stick to Photoshop if you need to swap files back and forth with them. If you do not need to supply working files and Photos works for you then great. As soon as you need to export to open with another application other then the one it was made for you will run into issues. 

thanks for the input guys!
saves me a lot of time trying to figure it out by myself.
but still surprises me that next to effects, adjustments and more ... all works just fine after being exported.
and a "basic" thing like text doesn't make it through?!
being almost freed from the Adobe-Subscribtion-Claws ... hope dies last to replace their apps completely
and still being able to exchange documents as a professional in the design field ... and I talk for many colleagues!
anyway ... it is the way it is and thx again!