You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasted image not visible on second or subsequent pagepage

Windows 10 64 bit/Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641

I am trying to create a colour chart, a multi-page document.  It involves a table-like structure with, at the top of each cell a picture and underneath some text.  The images are being pasted from another application (Firefox). The image layer is resized and rasterised after pasting. After I completed page 1 I find that the pasted images on page 2 (or subsequent pages) are not visible - that is, shown on the screen - despite the layer being shown as visible in the Layers list.

The problem appears to be easy to reproduce: (1) create a 2 (or 3 or more) page document, (2) paste an image from another application on page 1 => success (3) paste this or another image on page 2 or later => not visible. The layer is created successfully but there appears to be no way to find/see/edit the image.

Note: a very laborious workaround is to save the image as a jpg and then use File > Place... which does work on pages after page 1.

It looks to me like a bug but what am I missing?

• Staff

Hmm, that pixel layer on page 1 appears fine on page 2/3 when I paste it. Do you find with that file it's not appearing?

Any chance of a short video demonstrating it to check we aren't missing anything?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Yes, if you paste the pixel layer from page 1 it works just fine on other pages. However, the point I was failing to make was the existing layers on pages 2 and 3, while present are not visible - in the document these were pasted directly from another application onto those pages.  As soon as I figure out how to capture a video I'll post it (Windows Game bar won't play ball at the moment)

• Staff

Ah my bad I missed those, I see what you mean. If you zoom out and select them you can see why, they have been pasted on the page below the current one, so the one on page 2 is on page 3 and that's why it isn't displaying.

I still can't reproduce this happening however, it may be to do with how you are pasting them, a video may indeed be helpful if you can capture this happening

Jon P, thank you. Now I understand what is happening and fortunately it doesn't need a video to demonstrate:

Select page 1 > paste image (from other app) => appears on page 1 in the centre - ok!

select page 2 > paste image (from other app) => appears on page 3 in the centre

select page 3 > paste image (from other app) => appears on page 5 in the centre

select page 4 > paste image (from other app) => appears on page 7 in the centre

select page 5 > paste image (from other app) => appears on page 9 in the centre

You get the picture.  It's nice to know the layers aren't lost but I still see it as a sort of bug though.  It's just rather annoying behaviour which it would be nice to get a fix for at some point.

Once again, thanks for your help,

Nigel

• Staff

What application are you pasting from, how are you pasting (CTRL+V?), and are you just switching pages double clicking on them in the pages studio?

I'm still struggling to see this unfortunately, if I switch to page 2 and paste an image I've copied from Chrome (for example) it appears on that page.

Dear me. I've tried copying (from a web page shown in Firefox, it was google images - I chose something with lots of images to copy/paste) and, as you indicate, all of the images are pasted correctly.  I wonder if there is something special about the web page that I chose, which is: http://www.holbeinartistmaterials.com/artist-watercolor-color-chart/   The document is set to "embedded" for the image paste preference.  However I get the message "Linked Resource Changed ... outside of the application" for the second and subsequent pasted images. Looking in the (temporary) directory where Resouce Manager is storing them it appears that the first jpg file has magically been deleted, hence it's "Missing" status in the Resource Manager.  I don't know if this has a bearing on the situation with regard to images being not being pasted correctly.  Am in the process of preparing a video.

• Staff

Thanks, I can reproduce it copy/pasting from that site in Firefox, it seems fine in other browsers (browsers will write different info to the clipboard which is probably why).

I will get this logged and see what we can do our end, but for now I'd advise just saving pictures locally and inserting them.

You shouldn't see linked resource modification messages when pasting from a browser, we will always embed from the clipboard (as obviously linking to a temp location would cause issues). I haven't seen this but will poke around.