You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart quotes / apostrophes - AP

Thanks, I could not have put it better myself.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, Oufti said:

In Word (old time souvenir…), if the smart quotes option is activated in the preferences, you just put straight quote in both Find & Replace fields, click on Replace all and all quotes were replaced by curled quotes, in the same way as if you typed them directly.

This differs from what happens in Affinity:

Word's behaviour is very easy for simple situations. But a bit tricky when you have multi-signs quotes (like thin unbreakable spaces inside French guillemets) or, as stated above, when a confusion is possible between single opening quote and apostrophe.

PNG50-Capturedcran2023-09-2013_13_21.png.abfb1a9795d6934b63600016eb8e6c2b.png

In these cases, or you have defined a robust F&R algorithm — where you know which combinations can be automatically replaced and those that must be checked one by one — or you still have to check each instance, at replacement time or later… 

• 4 weeks later...

I was poking around, looking for a solution on this (what InDesign calls "smart quotes") for a small book I'm putting together. Although I don't see anything to use in the Find/Replace dialog, I did find a workaround. 

My best practices include Style Sheets (or Text Styles here). So within my text style edits I changed Language/Typography Script to Auto, and now when I search for a quote, I just type in a quote in the result it show me within the text box.

Hopefully there will be a better solution in any upcoming update to Affinty Publisher.

screendump 2023-10-17 at 08.13.06.png