You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do your project file structure and workflow look like?

I'm about to start designing a book (in Affinity Publisher), a project that also requires me to edit more than 100 photos (Affinity Photo). 

I'm wondering how I should do this in the most efficient way possible. 

Right now I've got a folder for the project with a subfolder with my original unedited photos. I've locked this folder so the originals can't be overwritten. I'll create a second subfolder for the edited photos I will create. 

I think it makes more sense to edit each image as I come to the page it will be on in the layout process rather than doing them all up front, since its sizing may vary depending on how it needs to go on the page. Would you agree?

Does anyone have any suggestions for organization and workflow that might be helpful before I start the project?

Thanks!

One tip, aside from overall project organizational considerations: absolutely ensure that you have some kind of automated backup AND versioning system in place. With more complex project ALWAYS use versioning (never keep working with the one single unique project file) in case your file is corrupted somehow.

I use a utility called Dsynchronize on Windows to mirror my project folder to another drive (in real-time while I work). The same tool will automatically keep versions as well, if preferred.

I agree with you that editing one image at a time works fine if each one needs different processing and dimension settings. Otherwise I would use batch processing.

About the images, I usually prefer to check them first, in case I need to ask better definition (client have a difficult time with this), and working on them, or the worste of them if not from a photograph, first.

At some point while working on the text, I'll import them and if I didn't lighten them enough, or realise I need to correct more/modify, etc. an image, I'll be happy to do it and my eyes too, it's less strenuous than checking text. And it's a way to construct a page according of your vision, if possible.

Sometime, you need to read the header and look at the available pictures to decide how to construct your page, which image will be bigger than the other(s), etc.

Ican be messy with files and folder using other apps able to archive my work, but I would be more carefull with APub, not able yet to do it. Having every used filed in a same folder would be part of it. With this, working files I need to keep. And in another folder anything pertinent (original texts, pictures, logo if low resolution I need to redraw, etc.) that I'll delete once the job is archived.