You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 maxing out RAM and beyond!

Hi there

I have a student using Publisher to create a magazine, its about 100 pages, a file size of 1.8GB and linked images preferred. I've had a look at the performance tab and have capped the RAM and also told it to use different graphics renders to see what happens. 

With Activity Monitor open (iMac - 8gb ram, Mac 10.15.4) Publisher pushes the memory usage to 12.5GB the crashes out. 

I can't for the life of me figure this one out, everything looks fine there a shed load of hard drive space (700GB) the computers fairly fresh, up to date etc. Due to broadband connection sending the file may be problematic. 

Does anyone have any suggestions we could try please?

I am wondering if it is the 100 pages. I did a test last week comparing a 400 page Indesign document and 1000 page Indesign document to the equivalent in Publisher. No images, just text. Indesign was fine, Publisher became laggy but still usable at 400 pages and unusable with bad typing lag at 1000 pages. These test files were just text, no images, just black text, default font. I wonder if the 100 page with text and design elements is just too much for Publisher at the moment. You could try doing in sections and then stitch them all together when it comes time to print. Not idea, but I think it might be the reality of Publisher at the moment with larger Publisher files. 

• 4 weeks later...