You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo "Not Responding" freezing and crashing

I have Affinity Photo 1.8.3  installed on Windows 10 and am having a lot of problems. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my graphic driver software because  others on line said that might help, it didn't.

1) Constantly not responding, freezing (just stopped responding and won't start working for several  minutes), and sometimes it just shuts down without notice, poof. But each and  every time I use it, it will stop responding several times. This happens a lot when I have to use large size brushes, erasers, clone tools etc. Just changing the size (not yet using them) will cause a "not responding". Thank goodness for your ask to recover unsaved file because saving often causes a freeze up too.

2) Any other program that may be in use at the time - Firefox, iTunes, Affinity Designer, Task Manager, or even File Explorer, etc - will stop responding and sometimes crash. No i'm not running them all at the same time.

3) Sometimes keystrokes won't work and tools won't switch even if I use the mouse or pen. The tool square shows to be highlighted but doesn't change on screen - sometimes the tool may still work though other times it won't. It often stays on as the hand tool or the move tool. I've checked the keyboard, and it only does this in Affinity programs. 

It doesn't matter what size document I'm working with and I primarily work with 300 dpi, 12x12 inch or smaller documents. I'd understand if it was huge but it's not.

I tried saving more often because it seemed to get worse if I waited more than 5 minutes, but it still freezes.

It took ages to get AP to install and update - I mean I worked on it for weeks - terrible, unreliable and unfortunately only available internet around. So uninstalling and reinstalling is a absolutely last, last, last option. Designer stops responding too but not this bad.

If anyone has any idea why this so bad I'd appreciate some help.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi CRWillow,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.

Can you first try resetting and Affinity:

With Affinity closed

Hold down the Windows key and tap the letter R.  This will bring up the run box.  In here type:
%appdata%

Click okay

A Windows explorer window will open showing you some folders.  Open the folder called Affinity, followed by Photo You should now see a folder called 1.0 . Please right click on this and rename it Old Settings.  

Now start up Affinity.

Also it sounds like you are using a tablet and pen as well as a mouse.  If that's the case, can you also go into Preferences for Affinity and on the Tools Section, disable the option for Windows Ink for tablet input and see if that improves things.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took so long to respond -I lost my internet and just got a new company that's more reliable. I had Windows 10 reinstalled and so all programs like Affinty were also reinstalled fresh. TI tried you suggestion but it didn't help. I've been trying to fix the same problem in Designer. I tried your suggestion there too but it didn't fix the problem.  Both crash - shutting down without warning or freeze, the tools stop working - mouse, keyboard, or graphic tablet pen all sometimes freeze.  I ran compatibility mode trouble shooter and though it suggests Windows 8 the problem still persists. I tried bother programs before reinstalling the UGEE tablet just in case that was the issue though it didn't help either.