You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can i save an opened image as it is?

Hello, I have a TGA file which I have opened and edited in Affinity Photo. Now I want to overwrite the existing file with my changes. Is that possible? I don't want to change any export settings but save it as it was before. With one single click. 

Yeah, I used the exact method to export the image as TGA. But if I open an already existing TGA file and I just want to save the same exact image, why do I need to export it again? I just want to save over the opened file with the exact same settings. 

The app uses it's own specific working file format (.afphoto in this case) as default for "Save" and "Save As ...", which keeps possible applied settings, changes made, added or modified layers etc. in a more reproducable manner. All in all similar like Photoshop, which uses .psd as it's main file format. - Further, if you already have an existing TGA file, what would you gain from saving over the same exact image you still already have on disc without applying any manipulation (?).

However, for Affinity apps one always has to export to other file formats, they don't treat the file extension, or a loaded in file's binary format contents as an file type indicator for their general file saving operations.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

24 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

However, for Affinity apps one always has to export to other file formats, they don't treat the file extension, or a loaded in file's binary format contents as an file type indicator for their general file saving operations.

Except that if one Opens a JPG, TIFF, or PNG one can Save over the same file. (However, one loses control over options such as JPEG quality.)

Save can also work for PSD, though with risks, if the Preferences are set to allow it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

I am also being driven nuts by the need to always have to export an image after I have worked on it...  How many times have a opened a .png file, done a quick crop, pressed save and then closed affinity photo (AF).  Later when I need to use the image I find it has been saved as .aphoto format.  I then need to open up AF again, open the image and then go through the whole export thing.

The program knows what format the original was in so why can it not remember to save it as a .png?  Yes I will loose the options to mess with the "export" settings, but honestly most of the time I do not want to.  I just want to do a 4 click adjustement.  There could even be a quick "are you sure" dialog if Affinity want to force me to pay attention.

Thomas

1 hour ago, thomas.dahl said:

There could even be a quick "are you sure" dialog if Affinity want to force me to pay attention.

There is a dialog. You haven't mentioned getting it, so I'm not sure what you're seeing.

You can Open a PNG file, make some edits that do not involve adding layers, and do a Save. It will save over the original file.

If you do an edit that involves adding layers, you should see the dialog that asks if you want to flatten the image, or do a Save As. If you do a Save As you will get a .afphoto file. But if you Flatten you will (again) overwrite the original PNG file.

I am unsure, though, whether you're seeing any dialog. And also, whether you're doing a Rasterize and Trim operation after you Crop. If not, you might try doing that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1