You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting emphasis makes no difference

1.I am adding a text box over an image. It has been downloaded and installed in Windows 10 (Trajan Pro Regular). The same font's weight can be adjusted just fine in Paint but it seems to make no difference inTrajan-Pro-Regular.zip designer

2.I cannot seem to save the file it hangs when I go to save, I cannot change the name and have to halt the app. When I go back in it recognises that I have an old file and opens it for me but I cannot save as a different name, it just hangs. Neither can I find the original.

paint with bold.PNG

paint not bold.PNG

no emphasis.PNG

emphasis set.PNG

wont save.PNG

Trajan Pro Regular.ttf

1 hour ago, Patrick Bell said:

I am adding a text box over an image. It has been downloaded and installed in Windows 10 (Trajan Pro Regular). The same font's weight can be adjusted just fine in Paint but it seems to make no difference inTrajan-Pro-Regular.zip designer

The Affinity applications depend on the fonts to provide support for both bold and italic. Other applications may be willing to provide faux bold or italic characters for fonts that don't provide them, but the Affinity applications do not do that, to ensure good visual quality.

You can install additional versions of the font (if available), or you can provide your own faux italic by applying a shear to the text using the Transform panel, perhaps about -10 degrees.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1. (Walt got in just before me.) You only have one Trajan Pro variant in that ZIP – Regular – and, and such, only one weight (Regular). I suspect that Paint is simply adding an outline to the glyphs to make them ‘thicker’. You can do this, if you really want to even though it might not look great, by adding a Stroke to the text in Designer.  The Affinity applications will not 'invent' font variants that you don't have, unlike some other software.

2. Sorry, can’t help with this one. I remember seeing what seems like a similar problem posted recently. You may need to give more details of you set-up including where you are saving to.

Back again. Uninstalled and reinstalled but still unable to save only export. The save dialog comes up, I click to name the file and the timer comes straight up and hangs the progtam. All I can do is crach out of designer.

What further info can I furnish you'all with? Perhaps some technical support from serif?

54 minutes ago, Patrick Bell said:

What further info can I furnish you'all with?

Presumably you're using the Windows Task Manager and choosing "End Task"?

If so, rather than doing that, you could right-click on the program entry in the task list and choose "Create dump file". That would give some more diagnostic info for Serif.

Questions: How long have you tried waiting to see if the Save completes? How complex and big (pixel dimensions) is your file? Have you tried simply creating a new file (FIle > New) using one of the presets and saving it immediately?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No I am clicking on the close window cross of the save dialog because its all I can click. 

As for how long I waited? I went to lunch - is that long enough? :)
This happens on an almost empry file, such as your suggestion of file new and using a preset.
it seems only a new design causes the issue saving as untitled.afdesign  (can't try another name becasue thats where it hangs) but loading an existing design and saving as seems fine.

But I have just done as you suggested and the dump file is 1.8gb perhaps that indicates the problem in itself? I won't upload it just yet.

I have just looked at my system logs and this is logged at each of my saving failures

"21/04/2020 13:34    Windows Error Reporting    Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Designer.exe
P2: 1.8.3.641
P3: 5e834406
P4: b576
P5: 134217728
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9BEE.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9C0E.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9C1D.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9C3D.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB6BC.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_Designer.exe_c06ea6efb91ae7e354284663d4bf64a8dec2697_556353dd_d724e6a4-17f0-43af-baba-4761f5dd2cc8

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 3ca2b63d-caa7-469c-8e72-05c35aee5573
Report Status: 97
Hashed bucket: 
Cab Guid: 0"

hth