You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A.F: Resizing images isn't working very good?

Don't know if this is asked before or it's a known issue, but...

Before Affinity Photo I used Pixelmator to resize ( CMD + Option + I ) and/or  crop all my images and that worked pretty good, when I switched to Affinity Photo all the images I resize look a little weird.

I feel like there is something wrong with the entire pixel-calculating scaling script inside Affinity Photo or something.

Just a simple example of this happy guy, he loves his job.

Nice, this default image is 143px by 219px.

PFwN31C.png

So let's say the image is a little big and I need to scale the height -100 pixels down.

Here is the result in Pixelmator. ( 78px by 119px ) - the guy is still happy and looking sharp.

QlZs4Ao.png

This is the result in Affinity Photo ( 78px by 119px ) - Affinity Photo just gave this guy a Bluetooth headset + look at the entire rendering of this example, his arm/elbow or eyes, that's not right.

0nv5Dcj.png

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• Staff

Hi Shmoo,

I opened your original image then chose Document->Resize Document and entered width as 78, chose Lanczos resampler and got the following:

post-5-0-21232600-1437747743.png

I then looked at your Pixelmator output version and it's 116 wide so I tried again entering that width and got the following:

post-5-0-71581000-1437747787_thumb.png

Both versions look great. I'm guessing the problem was just that you chose Nearest Neighbour resampler, maybe? Pixelmator's output looks like it's either bilinear or bicubic resampled because it's generally fuzzy, so choose those resamplers if that's the effect you were after

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, perfect that works like it should.

Next question, the Resempler setting shouldn't it remember my last taken option to use that same option by default next time around?

Right now, it falls back to default 'Nearest Neighbour' option so I have to manually switch each time I resize an image.

sehZphd.png

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

I'm really hoping that the next update includes a better "memory" for all tool settings.  It's a PITA to have to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again every time you open a new image or option.  Last Setting Used would be great; user-settable defaults would be even better.

+1

And it's time to remove the auto-zoom system. Every time you open a new document or you make a changes to an already open canvas Affinity Photo automatically zooms the canvas based on your monitor space. If you're working on a 27 or 29 inch monitor it's so annoying to open smaller images and every time press CMD + 1 to zoom back to 100%.

Hardware