You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching input languages while typing text

Hello. I found a bug on Affinity Designer. I'm not sure about the other apps(Photo & Publisher) whether they have this bug or not.

I usually type two languages(English and Korean).

I set "Select the previous input source" to "control space", and "Select next source in input menu" to "shift space". (Attached the screenshot.)

In other apps or in the macOS system, I can switch from one language to another by typing "control space" or "shift space". Both of them works.

However on Affinity Designer, only "control space" worked. I want to use "shift space" on affinity designer.

Changing the position, which means setting "Select the previous input source" to "shift space", and "Select next source in input menu" to "control space", would make it work.

However, I can't do this because I want to use "shift space" on the app "Parallels", and it needs to set "Select next source in input menu" to "shift space".

I wish to use the shortcut(in my case, "shift space") linked to "Select next source in input menu" on Affinity Apps like the other apps do. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.33.11 PM.png

Edited by Yoomin Kang

Hello Yoomin Kang and welcome to the Affinity forums🙂
In reality you possibly don’t need the option ’Select next source in Input menu’, if you don’t have many languages set as Input Sources.
I have just two languages as my input sources and hitting the shortcut for ‘Select the previous input source’ just cycles between the two.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 minute ago, markw said:

Hello Yoomin Kang and welcome to the Affinity forums🙂
In reality you possibly don’t need the option ’Select next source in Input menu’, if you don’t have many languages set as Input Sources.
I have just two languages as my input sources and hitting the shortcut for ‘Select the previous input source’ just cycles between the two.

Thanks for the answer 😀
However, I want to use the shortcut "shift space" in the virtual machine app, "Parallels". To do it, I should set "Select next source in input menu" to "shift space" 😭

In the macOS system or in the other many apps, the shortcut on the "Select next source in input menu" works.

I want the Affinity apps to support this too. Thank you🙂

Although ⇧⌘SPACE will not work in Designer(?) ⌥⌘SPACE will.
Could you use this shortcut instead?
Or are you saying that ⇧⌘SPACE is the only shortcut that will work in Parallels to switch between languages?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 minute ago, markw said:

Although ⇧⌘SPACE will not work in Designer(?) ⌥⌘SPACE will.
Could you use this shortcut instead?
Or are you saying that ⇧⌘SPACE is the only shortcut that will work in Parallels to switch between languages?

I set ⌃SPACE for the alternative, but I want to use ⇧SPACE with all the apps. However, to use this in Parallels, I had to link ⇧SPACE to "Select next source in input menu".

After, I was using ⇧SPACE very well in rest of the apps, but only in the Affinity Apps, it didn't work.

I have to use ⌃SPACE only in the Affinity Apps, so it's quite confusing😭

Thank you very much😁