You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could you please give us some more information? What is the context of your request? What tool are you using? A screenshot might help.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, Fi73 said:

total noobie, so sorry if this seems like a dumb quest.  But what is the difference between MERGE and ADD?

Fi73, there can be quite a difference, I suggest you do some playing with different shapes, number of shapes and arrangements.  The addition of two overlapping shapes will give one "curve" with the same perimeter as the two shapes had.  Using the divide tool on the result nothing will happen as there is only one "curve".  But a merge of the same two shapes keeps each shape separate in the layer, so you end up with "curves".  Doing a divide you will end up with multiple pieces/layers depending on the original shapes and how they overlap.  If you do some playing I'm sure you'll find more differences.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

when selection 2 or more curves you have the option of [add] [subtract]  [intersect] [divide] [Xor]  but there is also an option to [merge curves] and [separate curves]. 

I have worked out what [separate] curves does.  But I was just wondering what the nuances where between [add] and [merge curves] was.

thank you from a very grateful Affinity learner

So merge keeps the curves as separate entities in a single layer.  And Add usually creates a hybrid layer basically getting rid over the overlapping portions.  I say usually because if there is no overlap then the result will be the same as with merge.  Again playing will give you a better feel for each using some simple shapes. 

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra