You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is new with Nik plugins 2.5 compatibility?

Both DxO and Affinity are boasting about the compatibility between the new Nik 2.5 plugins and Affinity 1.8.

But I've been using the nik collection as plugins since Affinity 1.6, both the Google free version and the DxO v2 upgrade that I bought last year.

I cannot see anything different? They seem to work exactly the same in v1.8 as they did before.

Neither web site seems to carry any details other than a statement that they are now compatible.

What is all the hype about?

• Staff

Hi alanGmedia,
Goole/Nik Collection never recognized Affinity Photo as a supported host application. Although it worked in Affinity - like a few other plugins - there was some known issues that weren't addressed/fixed properly (some of which we couldn't do much about without developers support/help). Since Google stopped its development there wasn't much chances things would change here. With DxO developing it and with Affinity Photo being recognized as an official supported host/app it's more likely we see a better integration between the two. Nik Collection is still one of the best plugins out there and now that it officially supports Affinity Photo things can only get better.

I think I just answered my own question.

Previously the plugins generated a separate tiff file, now they actually send the edited image back into Affinity with no extra files cluttering things up.

Maybe they did that before but I don't think so.