You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize image with downsampling degrades SOME layers

When using image resize with downsampling in multilayer document, some layers get completely degraded. See attached images: First one Fig9 6747 is 6747 pixels wide. I downsample it to 2008 pixels in second image Fig9 2008, and the bottom center elements turns into mush, the bottom left image also gets seriously soft. 

If I copy paste from 6K master file and re-size in the 2008 file, the images look fine again. So it is NOT a problem of pixel numbers in the downsampled image, but the downsampling algorithm somehow goes crazy. 

The problem could be that the top two photographs are very hires dSLR images, while the bottom ones are bad jpeg originals that were scaled up in their layers. It may be that when downsampling the master file, the bad file gets further downsampled as well, instead of retaining maximum information content. Some programming to the effect of retaining maximum information content in up-scaled layers should be doable. I did try the different resampling algorithms (bilinear to Laczos3) and all have the same effect.

Fig9-6747.jpg

Fig9-2008.jpg

AffinityPhoto | Designer | Publisher V1&2, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Zeiss ZenBlue, ZereneStacker, Heliconfocus, Aurora HDR, DxO Optics Pro, DataGraph, Wacom tablet

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Daniel Geiger,
Can you please upload the afphoto document using this link for us to take a look?
Thank you.

uploaded. I use AP 1.8.2 on 18 core iMacPro running OS Catalina 10.15.3

AffinityPhoto | Designer | Publisher V1&2, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Zeiss ZenBlue, ZereneStacker, Heliconfocus, Aurora HDR, DxO Optics Pro, DataGraph, Wacom tablet

I downsample for submission to journal (this is an illustration for a scientific paper), and have to standardize font-size etc. A workaround is to put all text into a folder, make folder invisible, export from master to .tif with 2008 pixel width (no resampling problems there), then copy - paste the text layers in again and adjust in the flat image file all the text layers. Rather convoluted, and straight downsampling of layered .afphoto document should work, after all.