You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In DrawPlus, I draw a quick shape rectangle and de-select it.

I click on the Flood Tool, select a colour from the Swatches panel and click on the rectangle.

The rectangle's fill colour changes to the Flood Tool's colour.

When I do the same thing in Design, the whole page gets filled with the Flood Tool's colour, not the rectangle.

What's happening?

Presumably you're switching from Designer Persona to Pixel Persona between deselecting the rectangle and using the Flood Fill Tool?

(There is no Rectangle Tool in the latter, and no Flood Fill Tool in the former.)

If so, the simple answer is don't deselect the rectangle. When you click the colour swatch, the rectangle will be filled without any need to use Flood Fill.

If you do deselect the rectangle, by default Designer will assume you mean to use the Flood Fill across the entire document, and create a new Pixel layer be which will be filled with your chosen colour.

You can change this default behaviour by going to View - Assistant Manager... and changing the first option:

820901813_Screenshot2020-02-19at14_53_01.png.4685a85bd087d9ca1e99849e8a28cd6c.png

You can reselect the rectangle while you're in Pixel Persona by clicking on it in the Layers Panel.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thanks h_d.

The Help file information doesn't make this clear. In fact, it says "The Flood Fill Tool allows you to fill in areas of your page, selection, or object with a single click."

If I open a picture in Design, say flood.jpg, the tool behaves as expected but if I add flood.jpg to a drawing, it doesn't.

It's a bit confusing, but I'll check out your suggestion.

The following, from a very old question, gives part of the answer.

"Make sure you are working with a Pixel layer type (not an Image layer type). If you layer is labelled as (Image) between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layer panel, right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a Pixel layer (so you can edit it at a pixel level)."

1 hour ago, Eddy-2 said:

If I open a picture in Design, say flood.jpg, the tool behaves as expected but if I add flood.jpg to a drawing, it doesn't.

Your original question was about rectangles and didn't mention pictures. Sounds like you're on your way to solving it though.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I initially used a rectangle to keep things simple when trying to get to grips with the Flood Fill tool. The picture was to come at the problem from a different direction.

Part of my problem (or all of it) is that when de-selecting the rectangle, I automatically deselected its layer, without noticing it.

Although a slow process, the penny is finally dropping and should have hit the floor by the end of the week 😉.

Thanks for your help.