You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Sentence Case to Styles

I do a lot of illustrations and layout for comics and graphic novels and one convention for balloon texts is to use "I" crossed on top and bottom for personal pronoun. Comics fonts always have the capital "I" with crossed bars. All other uses of I are supposed to be written without the crossed bars.However,  the only to get a normal "I" without the crossed bars is to have the text formatted to 'Sentence Case". Is it possible to add it to  Styles so that the text will automatically change? Thank you and kudos to the Affinity team for producing great software! 

58 minutes ago, sdrum said:

However,  the only to get a normal "I" without the crossed bars is to have the text formatted to 'Sentence Case"

What font are you using? If "sentence case" makes a difference then you seem to be describing the difference between an upper-case and a lower-case I (normally I vs I). But perhaps your font only had capital versions of the letters?

But if sentence case works for you you should just be able to type a capital I (hold shift, press I) like you would in a funny that has both upper- and lower-case letters.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am using Blambot font. It's all capitals but personal pronoun "I" has the bars I mentioned. Everything works well but it tends to capitalize all the 'I's. Selecting the whole paragraph and choosing "Sentence Case" solves the problem All I ask is to have it included uner Text Styles so that I don't need to do it manually on each balloon text. 

I am attaching a pic to make it clearer. The top is how it comes out when the text is pasted and styled.  

The second is after I manually selected and choose "sentence case"

Crossed Is.jpg

13 minutes ago, sdrum said:

The second is after I manually selected and choose "sentence case"

That implies that the font does have both upper-case and lower-case I letters, or sentence case would leave them all the same.

But Blambot is a collection of fonts, not an actual font name as far as I can see. Can you confirm which of the Blambot fonts you're using?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 hours ago, sdrum said:

It's OK. Maybe the dev team will add the "sentence case" option to Styles. That was all I asked for. Thank you for trying.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. "Sentence Case" is a text transform action (like the other ones I've marked below), not a text appearance option:

image.png.aee9dd205d25f37409d821a289099a78.png

I suppose it might be possible to make it an autocorrect option.

But any change, even if what you asked for is possible, is probably months or years away. So I'd really like to figure out what font you're using to see if there's something that you can do now that will work automatically.

It almost seems like you're entering your text with caps-lock on, if all the I letters are the capital form.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you. No, I am not entering the text with caps-lock on. Blambot as well as most true comic fonts are all look in capitals but the real capital mode has a special "I" . Formatting in sentence case works great, but unfortunately at the moment I have to do it manually. Anyway, it will be in my Affinity bucket list for the future. Thank you for your support.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.