You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding a pixel layer inside a group

Hello, everyone,

I'm trying to add a pixel shadow layer (made with a brush) inside a group, so that the shadow would only be applied to that group and not the background. However, once I insert it inside the group, nothing happens. If I insert it into one of the grouped objects - it works the way I want it to - the shadow is only applied to that object. Is there any workaround to have this pixel shadow layer be applied to the whole group without having to separately add it to every single object? 

From what I've found so far searching the forum - this is not possible. I have seen suggestions to duplicate and rasterise the grouped layer and to insert the pixel layer into it. It works, but only on the rasterised layer, so I don't have complete control over the shadows and don't have the choice to tweak my grouped objects.

TLDR; What is the best way to create a separate shadow layer that would only affect a specific group?

Welcome to the forums.
I’m finding it a bit difficult understanding exactly what you’re trying to do.
Would you be able to supply an example of both what you want to do and what you are currently getting?
Also, if you say which Affinity application(s) you have available (and on which OS) then it will be easier for us to give advice.

Hello, Garry,

Here's an example.

Picture 1 - The shadow is on a separate pixel layer, I want it to be inside the grouped elipses.

1.thumb.PNG.7842a3b8735f137da5ac1f9d006be729.PNG

Picture 2 - I added the shadow into the elipse group, nothing happens.

2.thumb.PNG.1958070f09b8ad4a805edeafe3f88ae6.PNG

Picture 3 - I added the shadow into a separate elipse, the shadow is now inside that elipse.

3.thumb.PNG.b593205a415ba952d97feac1e2516cb1.PNG

I'm asking if there's any way to add the shadow into the group at once, so that I could adjust the shadow without needing to do it for every object separately. 

I'm using Affinity Designer on Windows.

Edited by marteidu

Thanks for the extra info’ marteidu.

It’s probably worth mentioning that while any layer can have many ‘child’ layers, a layer can only have one ‘parent’ layer. What you are trying to do is essentially put the brush stroke inside three different layers, or trying to give it three parents, which can’t be done.

The method suggested by G13RL above – making the three circles into one layer – is a good one but the circles are converted to a multi-curve layer which means each circle could be harder to manipulate later. It also means that all three circles must have the same fill/stroke colour, which may or may not be a problem.

There is another method which is a bit more work but allows you to keep everything ‘native’ and makes things easier to modify.
It involves making a Symbol from the three circles and then using one of those Symbols as a Clipping Mask to the brush stroke.

My attached GIF shows the process, and I’ve attached the file too in case it’s useful. (I’ve used a vector brush for the ‘shadow’ but the same technique can be used with a pixel layer, or any other type of layer as far as I know.)

Annotation 2020-02-12 095221.png

brush-inside-three-objects.gif

brush-inside-three-circles.afdesign