You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when clicking 'New'

Just downloaded Publisher. Haven't been able to test it, as it crashes whatever I try to do.
Report is sent by the program.

Anything I can do just to start a document?

Edit: Downloaded Designer now. Same problem...

Edited by mr2i

• Staff

Hi mr2i,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinity apps crashing when creating a new document usually indicates your GPU drivers are out of date / corrupt, please follow the below FAQ to fix this, and let me know if it helps -

Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Feedback: It crashes with the AMD Radeon HD 7800 series graphics driver from 16.08.2019. Version 26.20.12028.2.

But I am able to start a document with an older card (Using 2 graphics cards in this computer - 3 screens), AMD Radeon HD 4550 with driver from 13.01.2015, version 8.970.100.9001, it is OK.

Edited by mr2i

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know! You can use the below FAQ to force this GPU to be used with Affinity, meaning you should hopefully no longer see this crashing behaviour :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Could not get that to work.

I installed the newest software from AMD, got the driver for 7880 from 24.1.2020, then Publisher start to work, but then the 3rd monitor driven by the 4550 card stopped working. Had to find older driver to get the missing monitor to work, but then Publisher stopped to work.

Only solution was to use new driver for 7880, old driver on 4550 and run Publisher on the 4550 card. Not the best, but it works. New graphic cards might solve all though...

But anyway.. The reason I wanted to test Publisher was due to a PDF catalogue with 234 pages and 338mb that should be edited. Acrobat Pro is too bad.. But I am not able to open the file in Publisher. It is 10 minutes since I clicked 'Open' now...

• Staff

Could you please upload a copy of this PDF to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/IYYldXkIbyHrmAv2V4Ug

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file! I can confirmed I opened the PDF in the latest Publisher beta - due to the size and sheer number of Pixel layers in the PDF it did take a short while to parse the file - around 12-15 minutes. During this time the app used all 16GB of RAM available to it, and then starting writing to the HDD as expected. This process is required to parse the PDF data, but unfortunately will take some time as overflowing to a HDD bottlenecks the PC to the speed of your disk.

I've saved your PDF as an .afpub file and I'll send a dropbox link for this to the email address registered with your forum account. Do note as this is a beta document it will only open in version 1.8, which you can download from the link below -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

My sincerest apologies, the beta version is only accessible when a paid retail version is installed - I had missed the fact you're running the trial.

You can either purchase the app from the Affinity Store to receive your product key and begin using the beta - alternatively you can wait until we release version 1.8 to retail, at which time the trial version will be reset meaning you'll be able to test 1.8 for a new 10 day period.

I've also logged your PDF file with our developers so we can investigate further and hopefully improve our pixel loading when parsing PDFs :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 10 months later...

Hi , I'm not a computer-wiz, so please excuse my deficient knowledge. 

I have the same problem, affinity publisher is crashing when I try to start a new document. I also tried what was suggested in the "Forcing affinity to use dedicated GPU".

Do you think it's a hardware issue?

Best regards

Lenovo W520.jpg

Quadro 1000m.jpg

The gpu drivers are latest the system can find

Edited by Camitzake

• Staff

Hi @Camitzake,

Welcome to the forums :)

On 12/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Camitzake said:

The gpu drivers are latest the system can find

It's very likely that your GPU drivers need updating still - as Windows automatic driver search is usually a few versions behind.

Please can you visit the Nvidia website and manually download the required drivers for your system. Whilst installing if you are offered a 'clean installation' then we recommend choosing this, as it will remove any old or corrupted drivers from your system.

Once installed, restart your PC and try using Affinity again, you should hopefully find this stops the crashing!

Please note -

Many thanks!