You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding a repetitive line on photos

Hi all,

I initially planned to call it a watermark, but actually it's just a simple "coloured" line that will be visible and created with a macro and later using it as a batch on a selected amount of photos. I can create the macro. Tested it and it works. Then I copied the macro to library, so so far all OK I thought. The line which is a part of the macro is amber/orange but the colour doesn't really matter right now and is situated at the bottom of a screenshot. After I saved the macro, I close the screenshot and start the batch. All of that works too, but when the batch is completed I have on the selected screenshots a line as expected BUT not amber/orange but white! And that's then also my problem.... it should be a coloured line and not white, but what do I do wrong?

Thank you in advance for your time, reply and hopefully for me a solution.

Kind regards,

Angelique van Campen

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Angelique.

What technique did you use to create the line, and what steps did you record in your macro?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You could also upload the Macro or take a screen shot of the macro steps.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for your replies. Ok, let me start to describe what I did.

1. Load a screenshot
  2. Set the right colour I want
  3. Created a macro using the rectangular tool. Click the Start recording button
  4. I draw a square with the colour I've selected before.
  5. Resize the rectangular shape
  6. Click the Move Tool and move the rectangular to the bottom of the screenshot
  7. Then I stop de recording and save it as untitled (see attached macro file)
  8. I add the macro also to the Library
  9. Then I close the screenshot, result empty Photo with no document
  10. I reopen a screenshot and from the Library I start the macro and then the line is no longer coloured but white.

I know, I do something wrong. I also know that I'm not very handy with Photo yet, so excuse me if I did miss a step or that I completely forgot to follow this or that step. I also hope this answer your question and hopefully you fill see what or which step I've forgotten to give the line a colour, besides white! Instead of screenshots I made a small movie which is a bit easier to understand what and how I did it and how I ran into problems.

Untitled.afmacro

29 minutes ago, Angelique-van-Campen said:
  • Set the right colour I want
  • Created a macro using the rectangular tool. Click the Start recording button
  • I draw a square with the colour I've selected before.

I think you should change the order of that:

1. Start recording your macro.
  2. Choose the Rectangle Tool.
  3. Choose your color.
  4. Then do the rest.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

Thank you for your reply, but I don't think the other way around as you suggest works, unless I do something wrong or do the wrong steps as you suggested. As you can see in the movie, I can't change the colour. When I've selected another colour, it returns back to the previous colour and a macro popup tells me that it can't record the fill function.

See attached movie.

7 minutes ago, Angelique-van-Campen said:

do the wrong steps as you suggested.

You did not do the steps I suggested. At step 2 I did not say "draw a rectangle". I said "choose the Rectangle Tool". Then you select the color, then you draw the rectangle.

Sorry for not being clearer.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome, Angelique :)

-- Walt
PC: