You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text w/outline turned to pixel, outline choppy on export

Hi y'all,

I created a logo composed of text that is filled in with a bitmap image (using the fill tool), and an outline. However, when I export to anything other than afdesign file type, the outline is really choppy and doesn't look smooth like in the app. If I increase the outline, spots start appearing outside of the text outline.

Thoughts? TIA!!

For me, jpeg export seems broken. Artifacts appear when exporting multilayer to a flattened image in other sizes and other image formats. Specifically, my healing brush layer gets these horrendous white edegs around every brush stroke when using jpeg export with lanczos sharpen reduction... and this is happening when exporting to a flattened single layer image! My work around is to ctrl + alt + shift + e "merge visible to new layer" and place that layer on the very top. Then export to whatever you want without artifacts. This extra step should not necessary. Affinity, I love you guys. I quite Adobe for you. Please fix this. Thank you.

• Staff
On 1/25/2020 at 4:44 PM, Coby said:

For me, jpeg export seems broken. Artifacts appear when exporting multilayer to a flattened image in other sizes and other image formats. Specifically, my healing brush layer gets these horrendous white edegs around every brush stroke when using jpeg export with lanczos sharpen reduction... and this is happening when exporting to a flattened single layer image! My work around is to ctrl + alt + shift + e "merge visible to new layer" and place that layer on the very top. Then export to whatever you want without artifacts. This extra step should not necessary. Affinity, I love you guys. I quite Adobe for you. Please fix this. Thank you.

Please could you provide an example of the issue you are describing?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

This issue does not happen every time, but with some files it seems consistent. I have attached the original working file, exported jpeg images of the file with artifacts, and also screenshots of the export settings. These occur when exporting as a 700x700 pixel jpeg using Lanczos re-sampling (both Lanczos algorithms resample with artifacts on my healing brush layer, but in different amounts as you will see from the attached images. My work around is to flatten all layers to a new layer on top, and then the re-sampled export has no artifacts. Thank you kindly for looking into this.

DSC_0024.afphoto

DSC_0024_700px_square_lanczos_non-separable.jpg

DSC_0024_700px_square_lanczos_separable.jpg

export_settings_DSC_0024_700px_square_lanczos_non-separable.jpg

export_settings_DSC_0024_700px_square_lanczos_separable.jpg