You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seeking Adjustments for Dramatic and Deep Blue Image

Hi there, I'm trying to achieve a visual similar to the images attached. I've tried using Affinity Photo's LUT's, adjustments and tutorials but I just can't get there. 

I think it would include a minor fade on the black, a deepening to the blues (seeking a teal'ish blue), deep blue and greens (never overly saturated). 

Anyone know which adjustments I can play with and how to achieve this? Would super appreciate your time. Thank you so much~

- Denise

44892752_10155610259092133_1087199047460061184_o.jpg

becca-tapert-BsiyAubKJGY-unsplash.jpg

casey-horner-zkLb3ELOYAM-unsplash.jpg

IMG_9708.jpg

IMG_9709.jpg

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9712.jpg

The first and the last 5 images look like matte coloring effects have been applied to those. You can try that macro here and tweak things further via curves and certain color adjustment plays.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi DeniseIleen :)

I note you've mentioned using LUTs, have you been creating LUTs using the above images, then applying them to your own? (as shown in the below tutorial)

Could you provide a sample file of an image you're trying to edit to achieve the above effect? This way myself and other forum users may be able to provide more specific advice!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
1 hour ago, DeniseIleen said:

The matte effect from the macro is lovely, but I'm looking for something that makes all colors cooler/bluer added as well. Is that possible?

You could try using a White Balance adjustment to achieve this -

image.png

Alternatively a Curves adjustment with the dropdown set to Blue -

image.png

Or try using both in combination to produce the effect you're looking for! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C, thanks so much for your help. I added your suggestions of White Balance to Blue in my edits below. Super appreciate your time and sending over the LUT post. I had seen this post earlier but am still missing some key desired outcomes. 

For better communication purposes, I'm providing a sample from the:

1) Desired effect images: greens, indoor and outdoor 2) Original images being edited  3) 'Matte' macro effect + blue added from White Balance

960853051_Drama_Green.thumb.jpg.4a6a6776f8db6815ac8107e266e3f0c9.jpg891867939_Drama_Indoor.thumb.jpg.7fb21db9435ef2e183bb7000795efa41.jpg669273138_Drama_Outdoor.thumb.jpg.9fec434a09938ef28b02333722969a4e.jpg

Desired effect images: greens, indoor and outdoor 

107598135_ScreenShot2020-01-23at6_48_51PM.thumb.png.b94451698d3876fd5d87bd11dab8e203.png

Original images being edited

1851200130_ScreenShot2020-01-23at6_49_03PM.thumb.png.4ba6cea6ad0078fe1a0a424e6826e808.png

Matte' macro effect + blue added from White Balance

I do realize that my original images are shot in different lights and all have extremely different color palettes, though i'm hoping this wide range may serve useful in seeing the effect of the macros and adjustments. 

The closest Macro or LUT I've used so far is the Matte one. I like that:

• the blues go deeper/darker (not brighter)
  • there seems to be a matte/fade effect
  • i'm noting some contrast creating a dramatic effect

********What is still missing:********

• The blacks are too faded, there is not much contrast in among the black shades as they do in in 'Drama Indoor', 'Drama Green' and 'Drama Outdoor'
  • The skin tones and greens don't pop how they do in 'Drama Green'

You can try to apply a color boosting after the matte and see if that does pop colors or not (see here). You might have to enhance or modify certain of the steps these macros do.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks so much, but the boost seems to just add contrast - not necessarily more color.

From the macros below under JR - Filter Effects (download here: https://affin.co/workflow), I found Technicolor 2-strip, Lab 50:50 and Technicolor 3-strip. 

Adjusting within any of these 3 macros, do you have any idea how I could possibly:

- make the blues more teal

- make the greens more vivid

- avoid removing all depth in the black

- maintain a cool (not warm) color overall

or in general just achieving the same desired images i listed. 

Thanks so much for any help.