You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help Please Adding a measuring scale to a photo

Hi All,

As you know I am a very basic user of affinity photo. 

I friend of mine has asked about a photo his made to add a measuring scale to the photo. I have bodged something together for now but wanted to know if there's a way of either drawing the scale to 1:1 size or to scale an image like I have sort of done to 1:1. Its not letting me upload a photo atm but when I does I will upload it. 

Its annoying as I know how to draw this sort of thin in like auto cad but that doesn't help me drawing it in affinity photo to make an image haha. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Aaron 

AHarris

Using Mac with Affinity Photo & Publisher

https://www.instagram.com/awharrisphotos/

Welcome to the forum, You should be able to post an image on your second post, so just reply and attach an image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

49 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the forum, You should be able to post an image on your second post, so just reply and attach an image.

I have posted a few things on the forum now but I have got a lot to learn.

Please see below 

AHarris

You can make a simple measuring scale by drawing some lines on a Grid (Snap to Grid) – with text over the major tick marks – grouping them, then duplicating the original, then using power duplication to continue the process. Then you can change the text and put the scale inside the background. See my GIF and afphoto file for an example. Once you have your scale you can copy and paste it into whichever document you want to use it in.
If this is not what you want then you might need to explain your requirements a bit more.

simple-scale.gif

simple-measuring-scale.afphoto

Edited by GarryP
Added afphoto file.

If you do this on a regular basis you can draw these scales out group them and create assets that can be reused.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Panels/assetsPanel.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

You’re welcome.
If you get stuck then don’t be afraid to put your hand up.
It can be tricky learning new things; I should know, I’m still very much doing so.
There may be better ways to do what you want so look out for other people posting answers too.

I have done it and sent it over to my mate. Didn't take long. I did it from scratch as well. Thanks for the help 

AHarris

You’re welcome.
One extra bit of advice is, to add to what firstdefence said above, if you make a scale that is as long as you would ever want, you can add it to your Assets and then, when you come to use it, resize the ‘container’ (remembering to use “Lock Children”) to the size you want and remove the text you don’t need; see attached GIF.

scale2.gif