You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very good points, but that's why I use LR6 (the licensed version rather than the subscription), until Affinity or another clever developer comes up with a DAM that does LR's library function well.  If Affinity does it, then we can be pretty much guaranteed tight integration with AP.  Right now AP does almost everything that I need on the develop side of LR, though incremental improvements to the RAW processing engine will be welcome.

I have LR6 also. It will be hard to beat and who knows when Affinity's DAM will arrive anyway; no time soon I bet. I shall try LR6 with AP but it will be pretty useless if it does not return edited photos to the same location as the original. I also favour LR's RAW editing capability. Thus if the LR/AP relationship cannot work in the same way as LR and its plugins (Macphun, Topaz etc) or LR and PS there would seem little point in me scrapping CC just yet - which is a shame for AP is a fine (and getting better) editor. However PS is also pretty good :-)

I have LR6 also. It will be hard to beat and who knows when Affinity's DAM will arrive anyway; no time soon I bet. I shall try LR6 with AP but it will be pretty useless if it does not return edited photos to the same location as the original. I also favour LR's RAW editing capability. Thus if the LR/AP relationship cannot work in the same way as LR and its plugins (Macphun, Topaz etc) or LR and PS there would seem little point in me scrapping CC just yet - which is a shame for AP is a fine (and getting better) editor. However PS is also pretty good :-)

Tried it and if I save as a flattened tif AP returns the edited file to the correct place in LR, great!

After having read the latest comments I think something is missing. Should Affinity developers come out with a DAM capable of rivaling with Lightroom, that software should also be capable of accepting all the LR edits to the raw files that are saved on the Sidecar files attached to the original raw files.

I think that a large majority of LR users have opted for the raw file + sidecar combination. And of course importing an entire Lightroom library should maintain the file structure and all the keywords and labels (stars, flags, colour markings, geotags etc.). Quite a development task with huge risks. There would be no problems for those starting from a clean table but for the rest of us and for serious photographers the change from LR would be perilous. So, let's hope AP developers wil improve the integration between AP and LR.

After having read the latest comments I think something is missing. Should Affinity developers come out with a DAM capable of rivaling with Lightroom, that software should also be capable of accepting all the LR edits to the raw files that are saved on the Sidecar files attached to the original raw files.

I think that a large majority of LR users have opted for the raw file + sidecar combination. And of course importing an entire Lightroom library should maintain the file structure and all the keywords and labels (stars, flags, colour markings, geotags etc.). Quite a development task with huge risks. There would be no problems for those starting from a clean table but for the rest of us and for serious photographers the change from LR would be perilous. So, let's hope AP developers wil improve the integration between AP and LR.

Good point.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried to use the Export > Synchronize Folder process to save files edited by Affinity Photo back to Lightroom. Here's the process:

1. Open an image from Lightroom into Affinity Photo.

2. Make changes to the image

3. Export the images as a .psd file back into the folder managed by Lightroom. (I confirm that I want to replace the existing image.)

4. Synchronize the folder from within Lightroom

When the adjusted thumbnail preview is picked up by Lightroom after the synchronized process, it is displayed as an all white field. In other words, there is no preview. The exported file can be opened and edited in Photoshop. When it's saved from Photoshop, the preview appears properly.

I'm currently using the Affinity Photo Trial (version 1.4) with Lightroom 6 (version 6.4). I have Affinity Photo Trial specified as one of the external editors, along with Photoshop.

Is there any suggestion on what might correct this problem?