You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For which app, are your drawings vector or bitmaps?

All Affinity apps do support to apply styles, they have a style side panel which can be activated. Styles can be added to shape selections etc. You can also define and make your own pattern styles (from bitmaps). - See for example:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

But what are they raster/pixel bitmaps or vector drawings? And do you want to modify them with Designer or Photo? - You have to be more specific.

Samples ...

shirtmaker_1.png.b9ecd64f2b07de6677adc274f7fe8de2.pngshirtmaker_2.png.f9711030c4fcf1b3d0fca7863dd96e4e.png

shirtmaker_3.png.2fbe8660b9d2fc931d4c05a6a0f9555e.pngshirtmaker_4.png.e8fbe1b597d348622275f25427b9d18a.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I vectorized (bitmap to vectors) your above image with a third party tool, then opened the vector result in Designer, selected the shirt layer and applied some of the above shown fabric styles I've created once upon a time. - Here is the AD vector file ...

Which layer to apply loaded styles then to, I named the layer, so you just have to select that layer and then switch over to the styles panel and apply one from a category of whatever styles you loaded into AD. - Note that you can customize applied styles with the Gradient tool afterwards, the pattern size and thus the repeat of the pattern (bigger/smaller), its orientation (flow), etc.

shirtmaker_howto.jpg.4a2ea4f825aee5683d834a2c84bc0db1.jpg

You may first have to load some styles to experiment with into the styles panel via its little right top side hamburger menu (like those styles above mentioned) before you start to make your own pattern styles.

Ich sehe Du hasst alles in Deutsch? Ich bin auch aus Deutschland/Berlin wohne aber in USA jetzt.

I need more practice. I did not understand how to do it. I tried to figure out how to load a pattern into styles, didn't work for me.

I learn best watching tutorials. The vectorizer all wanted money...I'm looking into it more later.

1 hour ago, PippiL said:

Ich sehe Du hasst alles in Deutsch? Ich bin auch aus Deutschland/Berlin wohne aber in USA jetzt.

Ja ist halt meine Muttersprache (im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes) und ich wohne halt die meiste Zeit des Jahres in Deutschland.

2 hours ago, PippiL said:

I need more practice. I did not understand how to do it. I tried to figure out how to load a pattern into styles, didn't work for me. ...

In order to load a styles pack like those I linked above, my of those Frabric styles are zipped/compressed archive files and they would have to be uncompressed/unzipped first (thus they have the ".zip" file extension). So "fabrics_1.afstyles.zip" -> via an unzip program into -> "fabrics_1.afstyles", note the different file name extensions. The Affinity apps all can usually import (load) ".afstyles" files. - You can import ".afstyles" files from the styles panel little top right menu as indicated in the video.

Related to vectorizing apps, there are different ones depending on the operating system you use, there are also some freeware ones. Some free versions do work from the command line and there are partly also some GUI (graphical user interface) frontends available for those (see for example Potrace and Autotrace, autotrace can trace in color, potrace with color quantization enhancements like in Inkscape can trace/vectorize then in color too). - Beside that there are also commercial tracer versions and some free online services available (vectorization.org, autotracer.org, etc.).

I was wondering about the different names of the styles. I'm completely new to AD I used Ai and Pixelmator before. Why do the styles have a different name? Do you have to purchase them?

I guess my own patterns don't work in AD?

And thank you for the fabric styles, I just downloaded them!! I didn't realize I could.

So, I guess there is no faster way to to do that? It could be very time consuming for me since I have a lot of clothing items. But I'm glad at least there is an option to do that at all. The creator of the portrait people is using PS and Ai. I still have PS and Ai until February but I'm not really using them anymore.

Where can I purchase afstyles or can I create them myself?

You can create styles yourself, see a short howto here, further you can look into the Forums Resources section, there are several people who already did some for different themes. - You can also download some styles from here ...

For vectorization, see in my above one posting the shirtmaker.afdesign file, which you can download and start playing around with for try outs.

Bitteschoen gern geschehen!

If you want to see what's available as apps for vectorization then you can look through this forum thread where some tools are named etc. Though it depends if you are using a Mac or Win PC, since not all of those apps are crossplatform available. - A free vector graphics tool with good tracing/vectorization support of bitmaps and crossplatform is Inkscape.