You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to View my objects outside artboard from Ai files in Affinity Designer?

Hello, i just move from Illustrater to Affinity Designer, in Ai when i work on a document i have a lot of things save outside the artboard. Now when i open my Ai file in Affinity Designer i see only the objects inside the artboard but not outside the board? How i can do that? I am scared that i won't be able to see a lot of my work place outside the board. 

• Staff

Hi stoyaniliyn,
Welcome Affinity Forums :)
There's no way to do it other than moving the objects in the pasteboard area in the original file (in Illustrator) to an artboard. Affinity apps are only able to access the PDF stream included in the Ai file not the actual Ai closed/private data and this PDF stream doesn't include the objects placed in the pasteboard area.

Other than for imported Ai files from the View menu, select View Mode and then select Clip to Canvas, it's a toggle menu entry.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, MEB said:

v_kyr,
That option is not available for documents that use artboards (greyed out), only for regular non-artboard based documents.

You are right, just checked the online help for that and realized that too. - Why that limitation to none artboards, it should be enhanced to show for those too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• Staff
26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You are right, just checked the online help for that and realized that too. - Why that limitation to none artboards, it should be enhanced to show for those too.

There's no limitation here - you can see the contents of the pasteboard with artboard based documents by default - just drag an object from an artboard to the pasteboard - you should still be able to see it there. It's only optional for non-artboard (regular) based documents.

• Staff
30 minutes ago, haakoo said:

What if one would manual resize the artboard?would that bring them back in view?
One could use a very big artboard where the AI artboard is a child artboard(layer)

This will not work. Objects placed in the pasteboard area in Illustrator are not included in the PDF stream Designer reads from the Ai file so there's no objects to display/show.

so the only solution is to go back to Ai and make sure the objects outside the board are place inside ? Is there any other application where i can open my files only to trigger this option? Or the only way is to pay one extra month to Adobe so i can edit all my boards and make them bigger so they can cover all files outside the visible area.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

There's no limitation here - you can see the contents of the pasteboard with artboard based documents by default - just drag an object from an artboard to the pasteboard - you should still be able to see it there. It's only optional for non-artboard (regular) based documents.

I see, as default for Artboards those are clipped layers, when unclipped they can be overlapped.

unclipped.jpg.5ab08aeda781b99673ca19c0dc1300f5.jpg