jensfoto

Working with Mask like PS ?

Hello,

25 Years Photoshop. i´m a pro and its my daily business. I´m looking for something new. Hope i found it :-)

But:
I work a lot with Masks. I can not find 2 very very important features of PS.

1: How to Blur my mask non destructive. 
2: How can i show my Mask transparent on the image (in different colours, to paint on it)

I am German, hope you can recognize the photoshop screenshot to know what i mean 

MASKING.jpg

Hi jensfoto :)

15 hours ago, jensfoto said:

1: How to Blur my mask non destructive. 

After creating your mask layer, drag this away from your image layer, such that it is it's own separate layer. You can then use Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Blur>Gaussian Blur (or any Blur of your choice) to create a non destructive blur layer, which can then be nested into the mask layer. The mask layer can then be nested back to the background layer, as below -

15 hours ago, jensfoto said:

2: How can i show my Mask transparent on the image (in different colours, to paint on it)

Unfortunately it's not possible to force a mask to display as transparent, however provided you have Document>Transparent Background selected this will show through your mask. You can also use the Quick Mask function to overlay the image in red when creating your mask. Find out more about this here - https://player.vimeo.com/video/130973259/

As regards question 2, with the mask selected (click on the mask icon in the layer panel) go to Layer/Invert and your mask will show as transparent, if as Dan C says you have Document/Transparent Background selected. You can then use the brush took to amend the mask. Layer/Invert to return. Does this help?