You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document gets corrupted while saving

macmacmac

Hi, this is the third time that one of my Publisher documents gets corrupted while saving.

This happened to me twice a few month ago when I opened a document from an external Thunderbolt disk and saved it back to the external Thunderbolt disk.

I moved the document to my computer and didn't see this error again until today. The linked photos and illustrations are still on the external disk because they would not fit on my computers hard drive. 

I pressed cmd-s to save and I saw the first error window pop up. After pushing OK Affinity hangs with "saving". After a force quit and trying to reload the document I see the second error pop up.

I wished such loading errors (while saving) would be handled more gracefully.

-Martin

Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 10.19.03.png

Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 10.20.45.png

The local SSD disk had and still has 60 GB of free space. My linked photos/illustrations are unfortunately more than that. 

Maybe the problem has to do with the external (spinning) disk "sleeping". I remember that I worked in another program for some time and then returned to Publisher and tried to save the document. Maybe Publisher doesn't wait long enough till an external disk is ready, throws such an error and corrupts the file. 

• 2 months later...

In Publisher 1.8.1 the error is still there but it is handled better.

1498587404_Screenshot2020-02-28at17_55_13.png.dced9d57a574321cf71552f073dd9fcb.png

Choosing Replace rescues the file. The very first time I saw this I chose Save As. The copy was fine while the original file got scrambled.

I'm still puzzled what causes a change of the original file while I'm working in Publisher. I do nothing to the file just hit cmd-s every now and then. No other software I know of ever shows such a strange behaviour.

I'm on a Mac Mini (2018) with OS X 10.14.6. The files are on an external Thunderbolt disk.