You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Joining separate pen objects

Hi there, I have a question on joining multiple objects made in pen tool, I tried joining curves but in more complex objects it just don't work correctly or maybe I do it wrong anyway I want to go straight to the point and show you my object and why I need this to be one shape.

I attached my drawing to this post and I want it to be a wall stencil, so after I finish my shape It will be used in laser machine to cut stencil on an plastic material, but you know the more complicated the shape be the more expensive and time consuming laser job will be, this one is pretty simple anyway but when I have objects like tree than there's a lot of laser job to do, because when I draw my shapes I do it by tablet and I don't draw the whole shape but I draw it progressively like on real paper so the end result is multiple objects and when I print it doesn't matter because nobody see it but in laser cutting its a whole different story. Ok there's my 2 drawings, one simple 2 objects and the second having multiple objects.

cat.afdesign

tree.afdesign

Little confused, but assuming  you want the two objects to be one object - try the boolean approach.  That will make it one outline.   Holding down the option key gets you non-destructible booleans as well...

Yes me too, I was always minding printing only, not cutting vectors in laser machine...

• Staff

Hi bercik,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To create one shape from all those elements you have to perform an add boolean operation as @safoster71 suggested.

So in the case of the three, select all objects on the canvas with the Move tool  drawing a marquee selection around them then press the Add button from the top toolbar (on the boolean operations section - the blue circle and quake icon with a plus) and you should get a single shape composed by all those elements.

Same for the cat image (here you will need to convert the single lines to shapes going to menu Layer ▹ Expand Stroke - although currently this creates too much nodes).