You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IN PHOTO - what is the difference between "image" and "pixels"?

IN PHOTO - what is the difference between "image" and "pixels"?  

I ask this after opening a photo and trying for 5 minutes to cut it out without it letting me delete anything.  The layer had (image) as its title.  It appears that filters (and selecting something and hitting delete) will not do anything on said "image" - leaving one perplexed and bewildered and thinking that you found a bug.  

However "rasterize" seems to "fix" it. Changing its name to (pixel)

The weird thing is.  The image WAS "raster" to begin with (it was a picture, not an outline).  So I'm just wondering, whats the difference and could things be made a little more clear?

Don't get me wrong i LOVE how Photo treats things as "objects!"   Its a great approach, but there needs to be a "warning" telling you what your trying won't work - given when you try to filter/cut it out as an "image."  As it is, it makes you think somethings wrong ( and restart the program a couple times).  :-)

On a positive note (which i don't think you get enough) i was working in photoshop yesterday and found that not only did i really MISS Photo - i kept trying to do things subconsciously the Photo way :-)   I can't say "erase white paper" filter is AWESOME enough :-)

so heres the back story - in a typical day i have to do a commercial for a vehicle dealer.  Which means i need to key their logo.  Since they never send us them, i have to find it on the internet.  This one was copied/pasted and then i tried to use the magic wand tool on it.   No response.  Use the white page filter on it, no response.  or warning.  If i rasterize the layer THEN it works, which i have no problem with - still fewer steps than PS.  Im just saying for novices there needs to be a warning - otherwise you think either you did it wrong, or the programs stuck :-)