You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequency Separation - Reproducable Crash

Broicher

AP crashes reproducibly when attempting a frequency separation. I usually do this from inside a macro that implements a widge filter. Interestingly the preview works, but as soon as I apply the macro it crashes. It also crashes when using the frequency separation directly.

System info inside crash report:

Crash report, Callstack etc is attached.

CallStack_etc.rtf

10 minutes ago, Zolive said:

hello from my macbook it crashes when applying fsplit frequency manually (all values by default or not) where can I find logs to send and help to fix this issue? 

When it crashes on a Mac it usually opens a windows with a lot of information about the crash. This includes not only a call stack, but a lot of other information that might b helpful to the developer. You can look at the rtf file in the first entry here which is my crash report.

• Staff

Hi Broicher,
Thanks for the file. I've reproduced the issue here and i'm logging this to be looked at.

Hi Zolive,
It's probably the same issue. When the app crashes a dialog/warning is displayed saying Affinity Photo quit unexpectedly. Press the Report... button on that dialog, then press and hold the alt key and drag the icon from the titlebar of the Problem Report for Affinity Photo window that will appear to your desktop to create a copy of the report there. Attach this file to your next reply here. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I can reproduce this behavior with frequency separation, but only with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 -- with Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave it works fine, also with High Sierra and El Capitan. See crash report.

Catalina runs on my MacBook Air for testing purposes.

When I look at the other bugs listed here on the forum that people complain about, I assume that there is a big incompatibility between Mac OS Catalina and Affinity Photo (-Designer, -Publisher). How about an intermediate update instead of keeping us waiting for version 1.8?

Crash.Report.rtf

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Reeno,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's quite a few users reporting this but it doesn't crash in all systems. Do you mind trying this for me: go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and disable/untick Enable Metal compute acceleration checkbox. Can you still reproduce the crash with Metal disabled?
What's your system specs (namely the built-in and dedicated graphic card if you Mac have one)?
Thanks.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Reeno,
There's quite a few users reporting this but it doesn't crash in all systems. Do you mind trying this for me: go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and disable/untick Enable Metal compute acceleration checkbox. Can you still reproduce the crash with Metal disabled?
What's your system specs (namely the built-in and dedicated graphic card if you Mac have one)?
Thanks.

In my case, I cannot disable it, it is blurred out, it says there is no compatible GPU.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, MEB said:

Hi Reeno,
Thanks.

Thank you!!! Version 1.8 fixes the problem ... at least that is what my first test shows. I can switch to "Metal" and all is well.