You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filters vs Looks vs LUT's vs .... How to Create.

Usually, I go in and adjust my images manually one by one. I also do not usually run with a certain 'look' but keep the image fairly natural looking to enhance whatever I like about the image and fix any flaws but, for some social media stuff I am wanting to create some looks that can easily be added with a click to save me time.

LIke these: https://bypresetlab.com/collections/mobile-lightroom-presets

The overall feel of these seems to be reducing the total number of available colours, moving various colours towards different tones of a reduced colour pallete. I did this with an Orange and Teal look (Load Image > Channel Mixer > Change Red Channel > Red 100% Blue 100% Green minus 100%). Lots of the other types of preset shown in the link above seem to be a riff on that with various levels of saturation / desaturation, contrast, clarity, structure.

1. Are filters, looks and LUTS that you purchase online effectively the thing? A series of saved adjustments or is there a difference between them?
  2. If I adjust an image in Affinity Photo and then FILE > EXPORT LUT does this save ALL of the changes I made to the image as one 'filter' or look? Or just some - adjustment layers for example? For example, many of the changes might be separate adjustment layers but some - sharpen > clarity - will be done to an image layer.

Is there a better way to save these changes other than as a LUT? And how shareable are LUT's if I decided to create a look pack for friends for example.

Than ks in advance.

• Staff

LUTS are a series of saved tonal adjustments that can be applied to images using the LUT adjustment layer. You can also export your own LUT files from Photo if you wish, other adjustments that aren't tonal won't be exported.

Thanks @Lee D

By Tonal Adjustments are we talking about anything that appears as a  separate layer when the adjustment is done? Pretty much anything from the adjustment panel?

Also, when exporting, I am able to export to different LUT formats. The default is .cube would this be the best for cross-platform, for example, if I wanted to send to my friend for use in PSD or Lightroom?

For more advanced changes to various things I guess I could use Macros too, and build the LUT into the Macro workflow. Is there a way to macros cross platform? 

• Staff

Not everything on a separate layer may be a tonal adjustment, such as Live Filters but most of what's available on the Adjustment panel can be used.

When exporting you can export to the following formats .cube, .csp, .3dl and .look

Macros allow you to apply the same steps to individual open images or as part of a batch process. When recording a macro you can include the applying of a LUT adjustment. If you was to export the macros they will be in .afmacros files which can only be opened in Affinity apps (Windows, macOS and iPadOS)