You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

I did not understand the direct connection with "Emboss effect fix?" :-) 

The emboss effect fix cannot be fixed in any practical way, so the post started to spurn alternative methods of getting a smooth bevel using third-party apps and importing the subsequent artwork from those apps. As it happens these third-party apps haven't lived up to the results they give because they either produce a similar effect to affinity see Logoist 3 or the resulting artwork; barring the simpler forms, get converted into an image and not a pure vector see ArtText 3 or the import is a blend of curves masks and images.

Basically, there is no real shortcut to great looking vector text embossed without putting in some hardwork.

All of the above mentioned third-party apps mentioned because Affinity cannot produce a smooth bevel, have foibles and quirks that give with one hand and take with the other resulting in more work after the fact or just scrapping what was done and creating something awesome manually.

That is why I detoured, testing the apps out to see if there was a workable workflow and an acceptable end result. Unfortunately the answer was no, there is no workable workflow and an acceptable end result.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 10/28/2019 at 5:56 AM, firstdefence said:

No was just going off on a slight detour with PixelPests app option and running a few tests to see how it did with export and import, while the results look good the export options are weak with all but the basic stuff being rasterised and very little precise controls, else it would have been a great external tool. I did release this to another post as well. I'd had an expresso so went a bit feral posting lol!

I think the upshot to all of this is, if you want vector text in 3D or 2D with good clean bevels it has to be done manually. You could I suppose use the export from these external apps as references when making 3D and bevelled text so it's not a total loss.

Well, there is always Blender's SVG output. The built-in SVG export doesn't export lighting, but this one does:

https://blenderartists.org/t/svg-output-script/566412

It exports pure vector. Not perfect, but a good base for further editing.

svg.thumb.jpg.ef50f0e6a50cf11703cf79446f2f0c54.jpg

21 hours ago, HuniSenpai said:

Method 1: Time consuming but high quality result

Here's a time consuming yet highly effective fix that I came up with. But it takes time and requires you to rasterize the layer (annoying if you need to change the text later): 

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of this myself, but it is a destructive method and a bit too time and effort is involved. Switching to another app which does do proper sharp embossing/beveling seems much more time efficient...

I wonder why the Affinity team hasn't picked up this and fixed it. Seems reasonably simple to fix: just apply smooth normal shading.