You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Publisher doc will not open

Hi

I love the Affinity products and I am always sharing your stuff and positive about it on social media too!

I am somewhat dismayed to say that with the latest update has had a problem where it will not open a project that was fine when I closed it. And now, my first Publisher project was fine a few days ago and now all I see is a modal dialog (see attached).

This seems quite severe given that this file, afpub type, created with Publisher is not supported and will not pen. 

It's a 5 page simple design doc at present with a few images (created in Designer).

Please advise as I had earmarked time to finish this doc today..

Thanks

Leigh Tilley | tilleytech.com

image.thumb.png.f3d66b03f28eaba09913d0c939d397cd.png

image.thumb.png.52750cc4dc0012b311320950406ae13e.png

Your screenshot shows your document is on drive F: 

What type of drive is that and do you have any cloud based storage or internet backups/synching services active on your PC?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Jon P - OK thanks.

@carl123 - WD My Passport 4tb. I use these drives for both software dev, artwork (Adobe retired now and all Affinity) and DJing commercially using Traktor (tilleykillawattz.com). They've been bulletproof. I am somewhat dismayed...I hadn't backed this project up yet either as brand new. Well, I will check but don't think i have.

• Staff

I'm afraid it doesn't look like the developers are able to recover it.

It's actually an archive (if you rename it to zip you can look inside the file), this archive does not contain any publisher document or related info in, so it seems to have been "mangled" with something else.

The contents of this zip file relate to Microsoft from what I can see, quite confused what's happened here if I'm honest. Do you have third party software that might have done something like this?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Wowsers!

V weird!?! NuGet packages are C# packaged libraries. I did download some not long (for use in software dev in Visual Studio) ago but to the C: drive, totally separate area.

I'll look at it renamed to zip. V weird, and my first publisher doc!

I'm paranoid about the drive now. I have another one so I'll back it up to that and some other places.

I think that the drive you are using is one of those portable types?

If not dismounted properly you can get some file damage issues, especially so if write-caching is enabled

May be prudent to work on APub projects on the C: drive then transfer them to the F: drive when completed

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have the portable ones as on the move I work on a Surface Book 2 which is great for software dev and the Affinity suite.

I'll see if i, fingers crossed, copied it over to my 'mothership' Surface Studio 2. As I did start doing Affinity stuff on that.

I just checked my GoogleDrive as I didn't back it up there.

Fortunately it was not a huge afpub, it was my first one and the multiple Designer projects i was using to source the doc material are all intact. I'll bite the bullet and redo (locally!)