You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cross References in Publisher

obef

Hello,

Maybe I'm the one who didn't really understand the concept behind "Cross References" in Publisher.
I would like the text to show the page number where a text to which I refer is located (title, paragraph...) , for example "see page XX below/above" or similar wording.
I would like this "link or field references" to be dynamic, that is if inserting text the reference moves to another page, the number is updated.
It's an operation that in Word is simple and very useful and that in Publisher I can not but I would like to achieve.

Thanks for suggestions.

Ciao

2 hours ago, obef said:

Maybe I'm the one who didn't really understand the concept behind "Cross References" in Publisher.

As there are no true cross-references in Publisher yet, I'm not sure what you think you might be misunderstanding. Publisher provides hyperlinks, and index entries, but these are not cross-references and are not intended to be.

I'm sure that cross-references will come, and will work as you suggest.

In the meantime, there is a workaround but it is cumbersome if you have many references. (Using Assets can make it a bit simpler.)

1. You need to create two small Text Frames that are linked together.
  2. The first would say "See page" and then the Field Next Frame Page Number (Text > Insert > Fields > Next Frame Page Number).
  3. The second would be empty, if the cross-referenced location does not need to refer back. Or it could  contain some text and the Field Previous Frame Page Number (Text > Insert > Fields > Previous Frame Page Number).
  4. You would then Pin the first frame inline where you need the "see" part of the reference, and
  5. Pin the second frame to the text you're referring to. (Or, if you're referring to an image or other object, group it with that object.)

As you add or remove text or pages from your document, the second frame will move, and the page numbers in the first frame will adjust appropriately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello walt.farrell

thanks for the suggestion, a bit elaborate especially if there are many cress references.
We hope that an update will arrive that includes this possibility, for the documents on which I work is essential.

Thanks again & Ciao.